Sign in to follow this  

Getting a WA plate for an XR400

I have a plated/street licensed XR400 in CO that I'm selling to a person in WA. Does anyone know what would be involved in getting this re-plated to be legal in WA? :cry:

I have a plated/street licensed XR400 in CO that I'm selling to a person in WA. Does anyone know what would be involved in getting this re-plated to be legal in WA? :cry:

Nothing, just bring in the signed and released CO title, pay the sales tax and get your plate and tabs! Oh, fill in the "miles" on the title, we all know road legal bikes have speedos and odometers!

It's not a problem at all. I bought a 650L from a guy from Montana. I walked into the DMV with a bill of sale, for whatever price you write on paper, and a Montana title and walked out with a new WA title, plate and off road tabs. It took 15 minutes. Hope yours is as easy.

Peace - Dave

It's not a problem at all. I bought a 650L from a guy from Montana. I walked into the DMV with a bill of sale, for whatever price you write on paper, and a Montana title and walked out with a new WA title, plate and off road tabs. It took 15 minutes. Hope yours is as easy.

Peace - Dave

Well, the XR650L started life out as road legal bike. I think he was more concerend about getting a WA plate for an off road bike. Now thats the tricky part!

I'm considering the same thing...importing a converted bike to WA. Every out of state registered vehicle that I've ever brought into Washington has required a WSP vehicle check. What's the latest on the WSP's attitude toward such things as Baja kits, etc.?

If it is already titled and plated in another state, you shouldn't need to go to the state patrol for anything more than a 'VIN Inspection', if even that. However, if they do demand it get inspected, as long as you have all the necessary bits and pieces on there they won't care.

The problem with going and buying a brand new dirt bike(that isn't already street legal) and making it street legal here is that the MSO that comes with the bike says offroad only on pretty much everything but KTMs. For some lameass reason, the state patrol refuse to look at one that has this mark of shame on it. I spent over a month making phone calls and reading state laws and I still haven't gotten a straight answer as to why they do this when other states have no problem with it. And thus my dream of replacing my legalized xr600 with a new xr650r were crushed, and I went and got an orange one.

That being said, if you have a title from another state already, you shouldn't have to go any further than the counter at the licensing office to get what you need.

Rob

05 525 MXC

I'm considering the same thing...importing a converted bike to WA. Every out of state registered vehicle that I've ever brought into Washington has required a WSP vehicle check. What's the latest on the WSP's attitude toward such things as Baja kits, etc.?

WSP quit doing out of state inspections about 6 years ago, maybe even longer. If its titled in another state, bring it in. No inspection needed. It was titled in the other state for road use, it will just carry over to this state. :cry: Now go and git-r-done!

They do not do inspectios any more they say the do not have the time. By the way the only way they know that it is a off road bike only is if you buy it new the dealer sends in the mso to the dmv and the mso says off road use only, so if you bring an out of state title in and it does not say that they will never know.You can buy a Canadain bike and the mso does not say off road use only. I had a honda crf450r that I got from international motorcycle brokers in canada that I licensed for the street when I got it.

It is a liabilaty is why washington state will not let you ride it on the road it the manufacture says it is not for the road and the state says you can ride it on the road and crash now you say well the state said it was ok to ride on the street,and I am now taking the state to cort because if they would of never let me ride it none of this would of ever happend. So that is why the refuse to licens them for the street.

Ah, the Canadian MSO (its called something different) does say off road, but the broker sells them as used and you get a title from him! Even if it was new, it was sold as used. He isnt a true authorized dealer, he buys over stock from other dealers, sells it to you as used. I know, see my sig file. :cry:

ever notic on the muffler of a bike from canada that it does not have any thing stamped on it that it is for closed corseuse only like the us models do

ever notic on the muffler of a bike from canada that it does not have any thing stamped on it that it is for closed corseuse only like the us models do

Well, mine was an 04 and the muffler print was identical to the US version (compared it to the one NCMM sent me) and even the spark arrestor was identical, except it didnt have the print on it saying "IMS-400 screen type" or whatever it said. So technically, all I had to do to mine was change the very end arrerstor. And like I said, the screen was IDENTICAL to the US version anyway. Now prior years, I know the muffler was very different, ie end cap was welded etc.

That is funny my 03crf450r had nothing on the muffler, but last year he got a bunch of them from europe I had the cone tip not the stinger on mine. My ktm's don't have any thing on them either 03 525sx and a 04 125sx its just kinda wierd.And they are US models.