Sign in to follow this  

XR 4 spark plug socket size

can anybody tell me what size plug socket i need , none of mine seem to fit so i guess i need a new one, if i just knew the size :cry:

A conventional spark plug socket will not work on your bike because the space is so confined. You have to get a special one. I got mine from my dealer.

I have one and it works for me. The key is to make sure that whole spark plug pocket is clear of rocks, and dirt. If not, whatever is left in there might fall into the hole once the plug is removed. Some people here have some ingenious ideas of what to do before the plug is removed, and to keep dirt out of that area.

MotionPro socket does work, if you seat the rubber "plug keeper" fully. They dont seat it all the way at the factory.

If I had a .25 for every time I have typed that......I wouldnt be wishing for a new streetbike. There are other ways to service the sparkplug, just a search away!

We need a pinned post, kindly suggesting the search function......

Robert :cry:

MotionPro socket does work, if you seat the rubber "plug keeper" fully. They dont seat it all the way at the factory.

I pushed it all the way in.

It just doesnt fit between the metal of the head cover.

Mine SAYS XR400 (and a few other bikes) on it, but I dunno...

I'll take it back anyway, since I found my XR200 one works.

Some people here have some ingenious ideas of what to do before the plug is removed, and to keep dirt out of that area.

I don't know if this is a GOOD idea or not, but it's what I've been doing...

I don't have access to compressed air, so every time I wash the bike, usually within a day or two of every ride, I BLAST out the plug opening with a concentrated stream of water from the garden hose. Let that water shoot in there for about 20 seconds or so... Then fire up the bike when finished to make sure everything gets hot and dries off.

So far, no problems with chunks or dirt during plug removal.

I cheked my plug today i attemted to check before and my (stock plug socket) wouldn't fit today i grabed a mirror i keep in my garage, found a big rock around the the plug hole pull it out and i used my vacum cleaner first then bleu compressed air around the plug peeked again with my mirror and it looked clean only then i pulled the plug. paco paez