KTM Hard Parts Anti Hopping (Slipper) Clutch...

Anyone have any experience with this yet?

I was told it was made by STM, however, the unit that STM shows on their site looks entirely different.

Furthermore, the STM unit retails for far more than the KTM part, not to mention, the KTM unit comes with a full set of plates.

Anyhow, if someone has some thoughts, please let me know,..I have an 03' 450 EXC in need of a slipper for next season..

I just got mine the other day. Haven't installed it yet. It is quite a bit different than the STM.

One of the friends just rode on his at Del Mar for the first time this weekend (he finished 15th in the unlimited class). Should have a performance report for you later on today.

Thanks for the quick response...

I look forward to a review.. Hope it goes well

maz

Send a P.M. to Chuckie108. He is the mechanic for HMC team rider Darrell Atkins. The clutch they use is far superior to the STM clutch from what I've heard... although I don't know if it is available to the public or just factory supported riders.

This was our second race on the KTM made unit and the thing is working really good. I think it is a far superior unit to the STM. The STM unit works good too, but we had some problems with it that basically arose because the STM unit was just worn out(IMO). The hub had deep divets worn into the ramps, and the the throw out plate was also worn on the outside like it was touching the clutch cover. The guys from FMF say our problems are from the throw out plate touching the clutch cover which keeps the clutch from fully disengageing, which burns the plates out. I personally don't believe that as the STM unit worked fine for the first month and then all the sudden, it just fries clutch plates on every ride. I will say that the FMF guys have been all over us trying to get input as they don't want anyone to have any problems with the STM units. They also tell me that there have only been 3-4 guys who have had problems and they have sold 100's of them. That's what they all say :cry:. I haven't heard of anyone having a problem with the Honda slippers though. And I haven't heard of anyone having problems with the KTM STM units other than the really fast guys like the HMC and Factory guys. Darryl seems to be really hard on clutches too. We have gone through 8 sets of plates in 3 races and 3 practices. The KTM slipper is a totally different design and quite ingenius if you ask me. If I was building a KTM, I'd get the KTM unit. I can get you guys the part number if needed. I've pretty much seen every possible clutch and potential motor problem on a KTM now, so if anyone has questions, feel free to ask away or send me a PM. I'll tell you a funny story- I was at the KTM race shop getting Darryl's bike ready for practice last friday. I was changeing out the clutch, and Kunzel's wrench was changing the whole motor!! Just a slight diffrence in our programs! :cry:

I dug this number up for the slipper: 590.32.000.000

Anyone know how much these are goin' for?

full pop retail is $880

Chucky.. were you guys using the 1mm washer?

We started with zero and have added 2 1.5mm steel plates(the standard plates are 1.0mm thick) to the clutch stack which puts 1.0mm more preload on the clutch springs. I would doo either- run the 1.0mm spacer or the thicker plates.

This is great...

I delighted to get so much input before I go getting myself into trouble..

Chuckie108, where in Ontario are you? I'm in suburban Detroit...are you racing in the Canadian SM thing?

Which part? 607 W. California St. :cry:

Wrong Ontraio brother- I'm in Ontario CA, about 45 miles east of L.A.. Where Ontario speedway used to be. Also about 8 miles east of California Speedway. :cry: I'd ride the Canadian series though if someone wants to fly me up. :cry:

man. thanks for reminding me where I live.

must get to CA. Michigan is the armpit of North America. Business keeps me here for now, however.

it snowed yesterday. My KTM is parked. Be thankful all you California guys.

anyhow, thanks for the input about the clutch...

I'll order the Hard Parts version this week...

It sounds like you know quite a fair share on the ktm slipper

I would like to give you a call if possible, you might be the one that could get me through trying to fit one one these on a pre 2003 model.

I have a small machine shop to make the mods.

Mine will not be a simple bolt on due to the changes they have made since 2000.

Thanks, Randy

Anyone have any experience with this yet?

I was told it was made by STM, however, the unit that STM shows on their site looks entirely different.

Furthermore, the STM unit retails for far more than the KTM part, not to mention, the KTM unit comes with a full set of plates.

Anyhow, if someone has some thoughts, please let me know,..I have an 03' 450 EXC in need of a slipper for next season..

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure the KTM hard part slipper is made by Adige/Adler. I have one on order for my Husky and I was told that they make it for KTM hard parts also.