Sign in to follow this  

XR200R exhaust gasket?

I have a 2000 XR200R. I have what looks like a brass O-ring. Is this what the exhaust gasket looks like? When I install it, the exhaust header pipe is way loose. I can't tighten it any more and there seems to be about 1/4 inch of play. Is this brass O-ring the right exhaust gasket or is the right one about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick?

It's the correct gasket. Your pipe should have a flange on it which is about 1/2" think or so (I can't remeber exactly). If the pipe bottoms out, the collar must be pretty bent. If it's not, then you need to fiddle with it, so it bottoms out, then tighten it. It's kind of hard to explain, it's actually pretty simple.

There is a piece on the end of the pipe. I couldn't get if off and I wasn't sure that it came off. Is this the collar you mentioned? If it is, do I need to get it off and then push the pipe up against the gasket and then push the collar up against the head?

the "collar" on the pipe is welded on. Then there is the flange that slips over the 2 studs coming out of the head.

The "collar" on the pipe slips into the head(with the brass gasket) there should be a little play between the collar on the pipe and the head.

It sounds to me like it may be hanging up somwhere else maybe :cry:

The pipe goes against the copper gasket.Then there are two metal pieces that wrap around the pipe and bottom out against the ring thats attached to the end of the pipe.Then the flange with 2 bolt holes slides up against the 2 inserts and pushes the pipe in tight against the gasket.Sounds like maybe you don't have the 2 inserts in place.

I had the two metal pieces that wrap around the pipe on backwards. Flip them around and everything fits...Thanks.

Ah the hazards of not finishing a mechanical job in one go! I've started taking pictures with my cell phone to help me remember what parts went where.

Ah the hazards of not finishing a mechanical job in one go! I've started taking pictures with my cell phone to help me remember what parts went where.

How true!!!!!!!!!