DR-Z 400

hey over the summer me and my bro were out riding and we saw a guy out in the pit working on his dr-z400. we drove up to him and asked him what the matter was. he said (in a highly french accent) that he flipped his bike going up a hill and him and it slid all the way down. now it wont start. i didn't know much about dirt bikes at the time, and i still dont, but the same engine is in a quad so i figured i would try to look at it. first thought was it was floaded but the guy insisted it wasn't. i checked the airbox, no water (there was a big puddle at the bottom of the hill i wondered if he had driven thru it a few times). but since we were out on the trail i couldn't check his carb or anything like that. we tried roll starting it down a small hill and it just when "khkhkhkhk-clank clank clank". sounded like his starter was busted maybe ?. my brother ended up towing him home with the warrior and some wire (not easy to tow u 2-wheelers). so anyone with that info think they know what happened?

no one wants to take a crack at it?

" "khkhkhkhk-clank clank clank". "

Though highly descriptive,, is a little less than what I need to diagnose motor issues.

If you can come up with some minor details.. like, year of the bike, model of the bike...what else did or did not stop working/moving when this failure occurred. What you have found since first posting.. We might be able to point you in the right direction.

We’re good,, but,,umm, not clairvoyant ?