Muddy uphills?

Hey I was wondering how you guys handle greasy uphill trails. I currently ride a DS 80 and it seems like I just slide all over the place. Please tell me how you can go up hills with the least amount sliding around. Do you keep your weight back and are easy on the throttle? Would it be better to stand up or sit down if it gets really bad?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Hey I was wondering how you guys handle greasy uphill trails. I currently ride a DS 80 and it seems like I just slide all over the place. Please tell me how you can go up hills with the least amount sliding around. Do you keep your weight back and are easy on the throttle? Would it be better to stand up or sit down if it gets really bad?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Just relax, stand up, weight where ever it feals right, up on the tank when you are scootin along, weight over the back, when you need the traction. Be smooth with the throttle, and the clutch, brakes ect. But most importantly, let the bike float around under you, resist the urge to fight to keep it straight, good luck. :cry:

Hit the hill as fast as you can get going, in as high a gear as your bike will pull, weight back standing on pegs.

Hey thanks for the tips!! I'll be sure to try that next time I'm out. :cry:

gearing helps too. drop a tooth in the front sprocket or add a couple on the rear sprocket - makes your bike into a tractor

Hit the hill as fast as you can get going, in as high a gear as your bike will pull, weight back standing on pegs.

And being that you're on a DS80, hang on tight as you will be going at least 6 mph! Sorry, I couldn't resist. :cry: :cry: :cry: Resume the good advice.....

usually people riding a DS80 are using worn tires and are most likely overinflated. Good soft terrain tires and low pressures like 8 psi will do the trick. Just watch out for pinch flats in the rocks at these lower pressures. :cry:

momentum! :cry:

Practice! if its soft airing down helps but increases the chance of a flat. if its mixed, you probably want to go with your normal air. I run 10-12 usually, but I have buddies that run from 6-14. 6 only with a Michelin Enduro Comp III which has VERy stiff side walls.

Mud tires, S12's, 756's, 773's, etc. help too. If you have a hard pack tire on it will fill up with mud and you won't go anywhere. Also the tires only clean at speed.

Read the rest of the advice above, and maybe get yourself a video that covers it, I think Gary Semics vol #1 or #2 covers mud?

Oh yea, and practice some more. :cry:

Cheers,

Relax, stay loose and attack with as much speed available, keep the bike in the meat of the powerband, move around on the bike to transfer wieght as needed, keep a couple fingers on the clutch to help control power and traction, look ahead to pick your lines, attack!, be aggressive but smooth as possible, concentrate on your goal, the top!. If you don't make it keep trying, nothing is a better learning tool than time riding differant conditions!!. :cry:

:cry: :lol:For my bike its all about momentum & keeping it slow & steady. Oh yeah I am usually all over the tank on steep up hills. Seems to work, haven't flipped over yet. Maybe im not tryin hard enough. :cry: :cry:

Sometimes an existing rut is great traction. In other places it is the worst place to be. Everyone gave great advice for a tough hillclimb.

(The Suzuki DS-80 is an EXCELLENT small motorcycle.) :cry: It's got a real clutch and real controls, it's a perfect bike to learn to ride and still fun for more advanced riders. We had two of them. They are not slow bikes. 6 mph, you're not giving this bike it's due. :cry:

Put a new set of tires on the bike and try it. :cry: