Sign in to follow this  

Has it ever happend to you?

Have you ever had the rubber oil plug up at the top of the front of the engine pop out and start leaking ?

from halfway down

http://www.thumperfaq.com/autodecomp.htm

"Some members have reported losing the decomp plug after doing the mod. This leads to oil spewing out of the head. This would seemingly then also be a problem on the 2003-2004 models but has not been reported. TT member Vibeguy is making a trick aluminum plug that replaces the decomp shaft and is held in by the retention screw. With this option there is no need to buy the blanking plug. The decomp plug is available online at the TT store."

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

decomp_plug_01.jpg

decomp_plug_02.jpg

It happened to my 03 250F yesterday, so your not the only one.I had my friend go get his truck to pick up my bike.

I did not want to roast the engine.

When this happened to my 450, I discovered that the lowermost of the two metal half ring clips that anchor the main breather tube to the frame had been flattened over tube by running through some brush. This kept the tube pinched off and let the pressure get high enough to blow the plug.

I cut down these two clips and rolled them into smaller rings that I now attach zip ties to to retain the tube. they aren't any stronger, but they won't stay bent, either.

However you decide to replace the plug, check for this problem, or some other breather blockage, before you ride again.

I got a much better way to deal with the breather tube. Re-route it to the airbox.

Take this mini air cleaner from autozone (part #BF408), and cut the tip off right behind the flange part and in that groove between the flange and the body portion.

IMG_0019_1.jpg

Put 5/16" or so a hole in the boot with a drill bit. Then after running a bead of good adhesive on the flange of the tip, push it into the hole from the filter side so it sticks out of boot facing the carb.

Take the breather hose and trim the wacky bends off so that there is about 2" or so left after the first bend. Leave the long straight portion, and just trim that to length after routing it over the carb. Like this.

IMG_0022_1.jpg

And with that you will never suck water up into the motor, nor will you suck dust or dirt in to your prized possession, or blow out the plug. :cry:

Pretty good solution. I noticed the carb vent tubes in the airbox on a picture on another post.

You can also nip a tiny hole in the rear-facing side of the breather tube at about the level of the cam box gasket. It should be only large enough to create a vacuum leak in the event the engine starts to pull water up the tube, but kept as small as possible so it doesn't leak oil. Cutting a small slit angled down and in is even better, because it will act a bit like a one way valve. If you kill the engine while submerged, the hole will kill any suction in the tube, and meantime you won't blow any oil into your airbox.

(credit due to "Wrooster" for this one)

250f rider

is there a posablity that dirty air or bits of oil can get past the air filterby doing this

I would think that with the carb pulling much hard than the vent tube does, that if any does get by the filter it's heading into the carb.

Hey Rider--neat mod--it looks like the breather hose simply goes into the air box and is not filtered correct? Do you have any type of screening on the inside of the box such as a nylon stocking? Is the opening angled down in the box?

I think I am going to do this to mine--not that I want to ride in water that deep on purpose!