Sign in to follow this  

Swingarm bolt - How much pounding can she take?

My swingarm pivot bolt is frozen. The nut came off OK. I've been soaking it in pb-blaster and pounding on it pretty hard. I'm afraid I'm going to break something. I've applied heat (propane torch) to both ends of the bolt to no avail. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Bigger hammer theory :cry: Can u turn the pivot shaft with the two flat spots while you hammer on it? Maybe relieve the tension from the rear spring. But definetly don't mash up the threads or it be go buy a new part time :cry: :cry: Hope that helps but doubt it GOOD LUCK :cry:

I have heard that loosening the rear engine mounts helps. I have had my swing arm bolt off 2x once when brand new to check for grease and another time to replace a missing gease nipple. I slathered all kinds of never seize on it when i put it back the first time and it was still a [@#$%&*!] to get off the second time. I haven't had it off in two years now. I 'm gonna do a full tear down when i bring it in about the end of november. I'm not looking forward to pulling that bolt out, thats for sure.

Make a driver to pound on. Use an aluminum rod about a foot long and just a little smaller in dia than the swing arm bolt. Turn a short pilot noise on it that will just fit inside the hollow bolt to center the driver. Then pound on the driver with a 3 pound steel hammer. If that don't do it, you are in a heap of trouble.

Make a driver to pound on. Use an aluminum rod about a foot long and just a little smaller in dia than the swing arm bolt. Turn a short pilot noise on it that will just fit inside the hollow bolt to center the driver. Then pound on the driver with a 3 pound steel hammer. If that don't do it, you are in a heap of trouble.

Good idea! i can make one of those in my lath for you if you need me too! let me know! :cry:

My swingarm pivot bolt is frozen. The nut came off OK. I've been soaking it in pb-blaster and pounding on it pretty hard. I'm afraid I'm going to break something. I've applied heat (propane torch) to both ends of the bolt to no avail. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Wouldn't he be better off heating the swing arm/bushings as apposed to the bolt? He heats the bolt and it only grows making it more difficult to remove????? :cry:

The bushings the bolt is seized to are inside the swing arm..... Not something you can directly heat.. You train of thought is correct.. just not doable in this situation.... The heat in this case is to loosen the bond between the fastener and the bushing, and make both more pliable.

I would think an Aluminum drift would likely just splinter or fracture under the kind of stress he will have to deliver. Would not sound very safe too me.

gives you an excuse to invest in an aircompressor and a nice new Snap-On air-chisel! :excuseme:what the heck! :cry: