Sign in to follow this  

Dr D. Exhaust Please Help on CRF250R

I have a problem and need some advice. Tonight I was installing my Dr. D Exhaust on my CRF250R. I was at the back of the bike tightening up the bolts that holds the silencer and my buddy was tightening up the bolts on the head pipe. Apparently he torqued the bolts to tight bendeng the aluminum flange that holds the pipe against the head. It is slightly C-Shaped. The Head Pipe is obviously tight, but I noticed that the flange is not completly flush with the outer rim of the exhaust header. Will this cause any problems? Do I need to order a new head pipe? If I had my digital camera with me I would take a picture. Hope I was descriptive enough.

mine is the exact same as what you described. As long as there is no backfireing or poping on deacel, your ok, actualy, I would say your fine, mine was.

mine is the exact same as what you described. As long as there is no backfireing or poping on deacel, your ok, actualy, I would say your fine, mine was.

ditto

Thanks guys, I was really worried. I plan on riding this weekend, so I will keep my fingers crossed on the backfire or popping. I have had a little of that though since I installed the JD jet kit. I really think if the flage were not aluminum this wouldn't have happened. My buddy said he had the torque wrench on 15 ftlbs, but it never would break. He offered to buy me a new head pipe, so I bet he will be happy to hear the news in the morning. One other thing. Do either of you have the works crank case guard on your bikes? When I installed the pipe, you can barely get a peice of paper between the guard and the bottom of the head pipe

Kinda related question...

When you install the Dr D - do you have to re-jet? It seems like I read in here somewhere that you don't need to, but I'm not sure.

I have an 05 crf .The dubach pipe seemed to clear up my jetting proplems. Still have my backfire screen in . Thing runs clean and crisp. Everything I`ve read about the JD kit seems like guesswork.Works in a wide range also 1000 to 3000

ft. I only weigh 145 and it gets killer starts in the senior class. Almost as good as my old 450

ditto

mine is bent also and i didn't change the jetting, pulls hard and clean with no bog or deceleration poping! :cry:

At about 1000ft elevation.Installed dr d pipe on stock 05.The bike ripes mid to top but is running rough down low and pops on heavy decel. no exhaust leaks and pipe seemed to start blueing.hope to clear this up with the jd kit

If you're that worried about the flange call them up. Gina was great when I told her I stripped the allen heads on the back removing the sparky. She sent me a whole crap load of replacements. I'm sure they would help you out.

Dano

Thanks for the advise. I called Dr.D and talked to Gina and she was very helpful as you mentioned. As stated in some of the above replies she said as long as it not backfiring excessivly that I should be ok. My biggest fear was that I may have created a gap to let dirt and air in, but as much torques as I got on the bolts I figure nothing is getting in or out. I also have a JD Jet kit installed, so I am looking forward to the rain ending here in Kentucky so I can try it out.

Are we all two-veining the header bolts? Mine is bent the same as you have described as well as most others that have responded? Is the flange defective? Should Dubach be sending us new ones? No problems on mine but I did notice that the flange was bent.

I thought the exact same thing that you did. I think the biggest problem is Dubach using an aluminum flange, why cant it be steel. If there is a good reason why it has to be aluminum at least give me a torque spec. I dont mind the bend in the flange as much as the worry of something not working properly due my instalation. As long as we all have bent flanges and nobody is having problems I suppose I can rest easy.