Sign in to follow this  

stupid question. about SM

What does it mean to convert to SM? I am just not quite gettin it my guess is STREET MACHINE and not so much dirt able. :cry:

DSCF00011.JPG

Do you use that bike in the dirt also, after changing out the wheels of course, or is that a SM specific bike? I have thought about getting a DRZ and buying a wheel set to use on the road, and keeping the stock wheels for dirt riding. Is it possible or are there too many differences? Don't intend on racing SM, just would like to take it up into the mountains or play on the street some but don't really want to have two seperate machines. Beautiful bike by the way... :cry: :cry: :cry:

I cannot speak for Burned's bike shown above, but I am inclined to believe that particular bike is SM only...probably a race bike. However, there is nothing that says you cannot toss on the dirt wheels and brakes, and have fun off road...

I am doing the same thing, only I already have an SM race bike (actually, it is a CRF450 MX bike that also has wheels for SM that I use to race).

Most all "full on" SM race bikes are valved way to stiff for the dirt, but again, it can be done. My CRF is with stock valving and springs, and I race SM with it. Only means that the bike moves around a bit more than specially setup bikes which are much more planted...

Do a search on this site, and you will find lots of nice examples of Suzuki motards...

-MW

Clayman,

I do exactly what you would like to do. Super Moto set up for street riding and SM racing and I switch the wheels when I go dirt/trail/dual sporting. It helps to have an extra set of brake discs, one for each set of wheels.

I crank down on the rebound adjustments for the SM set up. Also changed to 10 Wt. fork oil. Works great in all conditions with the proper settings.

Best money I have ever spent on anything (the SM set up). :cry:

Mike

:cry:

Do you use that bike in the dirt also, after changing out the wheels of course, or is that a SM specific bike? I have thought about getting a DRZ and buying a wheel set to use on the road, and keeping the stock wheels for dirt riding. Is it possible or are there too many differences? Don't intend on racing SM, just would like to take it up into the mountains or play on the street some but don't really want to have two seperate machines. Beautiful bike by the way...

that is my sm race bike.the dirt it sees it the dirt section of our track.

this is my dirt drz.

DSCF00021.JPG

previous to aquiring my 03 kicker wich is the sm race bike,i did the switch back and forth deal on my 01.not that big of a deal,but gets old.having seperate bikes is the way to go,for me anyway.

Do you use that bike in the dirt also, after changing out the wheels of course, or is that a SM specific bike? I have thought about getting a DRZ and buying a wheel set to use on the road, and keeping the stock wheels for dirt riding. Is it possible or are there too many differences? Don't intend on racing SM, just would like to take it up into the mountains or play on the street some but don't really want to have two seperate machines. Beautiful bike by the way...

that is my sm race bike.the dirt it sees it the dirt section of our track.

this is my dirt drz.

DSCF00021.JPG

previous to aquiring my 03 kicker wich is the sm race bike,i did the switch back and forth deal on my 01.not that big of a deal,but gets old.having seperate bikes is the way to go,for me anyway.

Was there much more to it then just changing the wheels? Or was there alot of other things that went with it? Nice bikes btw... On another note, did you start your new job yet? :cry:

the bikes are completely different set up wise.gearing,suspension,brakes,cam timing etc.for a street sm it would be a simple swap.

new job is going well!thanks for asking. :cry:

Is it that Wal-mart door greeter position you've always wanted? :cry:

:cry:

yes,how did you know?getting the greet and cart hand off down was tough,but i got now. :cry: