DRZ vs.EXC!!??

well it was bound to happen,i went and rode a ktm 400exc, :naughty:wow!the motor is strong,rest of the bike is decent but the quick revving nature of the bike and the hit really makes my zed seem dull and sluggish. :excuseme:the drz does have about 8000 mls. though,could i be needing a top end.magazines all say the motors are real close.any thoughts are appreciated.

My question has always been why get the 400 exc when the 525 weighs the same ammount? My friend owns a 525 EXC and it is hands down my favorite bike I have ever ridden. Just gobs of power that seems to be available at any rpm, roll on wheelies in any gear you want, and the suspension soaks up bumps like a magic carpet. don't let people tell you they arent good in tight trails either, they get the job done anywhere. Why don't I have one you might ask? Very pricey, plus I'm waiting to see how durable my friends is ?

What kind of DRZ do you have Thumperguy? S or E and what mods have you done to it?

The stock S at least is really lacking. Once you get some performance exhaust and an FCR goin it does wonders. ?

I agree give the drz some upgrades from the choked little exhaust and fuel feed it need adn you will be nicely suprised. NOS is always an option for the truely sick of mind ? :cry:

i have friends with 400 exc, mxc's and 450 exc. i give up very little if any to the 450. i think they feel like they have more pep because they weigh 30-40 lbs less! they all will smoke me on top end though, that 6th gear makes a big difference, but who needs to run over 80 in the dirt, not me. -jamie

my drz is a 00 kicker with a power now and jetting.i love the bike but it just doesn'nt have the zip that ktm has.my suspension has been done and i have a dampner so she handles awesome, better than the exc imo.ktm has a heavy front end it seems.the engine just rips though.i'm going to check compression on my bike i guess.maybe i have to buck up for the 440 :devil:should bring the romance of the z back :excuseme:or is it just too many new bikes around me fogging my sensibilitys ?

Ya blow some money on the 440 there ya go... ? :cry: ?

Well I think after 8000 miles it would at least be a good idea to check out the top end and make sure its all in tolerance and good condition.

I had over oiled my air filter one time and it was enough that when I pulled the top end apart at 5500 miles to do the E gaskets upgrade it had a very thick layer of carbony crap on the top of the piston and all over the valves from burning the oil.

After cleaning up all the junk and doing new rings and gaskets the power increase was huge. It really robbed the motor of its zip. Of course I threw the FCR on at the same time so it was even better than ever. ?

i have my bike set up nice,just blown away by getting on something different,gets you thinking ya know :thinking:this bike hobby seems like a bad crack habit some times-$$$.i guess sanity is priceless though,no shrink necessary,just motorcycles for life ?

Sorry I just dont get it at all

Maybe compared to a close to stock DRZ but mine as it is setup I would not even think about a trade with even a 525. I rode a 04 525MXC (we swapped bikes for a while) The KTM felt like a vibrating bag of bolts to me,very harsh ride, the extra top end speed is not an issue where I ride. My bike was WAY easier to ride. Even the KTM guy told me... "Wow I could spend all day on your bike where as my KTM really beats me up" In fact he is still talking about how nice my ride is and it was 3 or 4 months ago.

I did like the low end grunt but the 450 kit on the Z totally made me happy. Personally I would never consider the KTM again (almost bought one) I didnt like it at all, pretty close to hating it.

Look in my list is there something missed? Cause the Z can REALLY rip, Did you do pipes, cams?

Sorry I just dont get it at all

Maybe compared to a close to stock DRZ but mine as it is setup I would not even think about a trade with even a 525. I rode a 04 525MXC (we swapped bikes for a while) The KTM felt like a vibrating bag of bolts to me,very harsh ride, the extra top end speed is not an issue where I ride. My bike was WAY easier to ride. Even the KTM guy told me... "Wow I could spend all day on your bike where as my KTM really beats me up" In fact he is still talking about how nice my ride is and it was 3 or 4 months ago.

I did like the low end grunt but the 450 kit on the Z totally made me happy. Personally I would never consider the KTM again (almost bought one) I didnt like it at all, pretty close to hating it.

Look in my list is there something missed? Cause the Z can REALLY rip, Did you do pipes, cams?

I agree. I just got off a YZ426 and while I loved the grunt, I was tired after 20 minutes. I've ridden and raced most of my 36 year life so endurance wasn't the problem. Once I did a few mods, the DRZ came alive and I can wheelie it down the block no sweat. I will never go back. Next is the 450 kit and hot cams. I hear Mr. Suhr is good with those! ??

Like machinist, I also have a drz and a KTM. The DRZ e is a 440 (so called) with full exhaust and the suspension done. The KTM is a 400 with a 520 piston (453) and the suspension done. It is an MXC with close ratio trans. Every thing else on it is EXC.

The KTM is geared a lot taller in low gear, but it seems to have more bottom end and more top end. I really like the close ratio trans when backshifting from 2nd to first on steep hills because the small increase in rpm dosent upset the bike like a big jump in rpm does. Vibration levels on the two bikes is about the same. The KTM works better on fast single track. The front brake is easier to modulate and is the best Ive hade on a dirt bike. Same with the juice clutch. In 1800 miles of steep technical woods riding last season it was stone reliable. Just oil and filters

(pain in the ass with 2 oil filters, 2 screens, 2 drain plugs) and one pair or rear wheel bearings.

If the KTM is a 10 as a dirt bike, I would rate the DRZ at 8.5 for where and how I ride.

People who claim the KTM is unreliable usually don't own one. Same with parts prices.

KTM radiator $150. Yamaha 300.

Wearout a cam chain and gears on a KTM you buy 2 sprockets and a chain. Yamaha, chain, 2 cams and a crank.

This is just my opinion and I'm sure there are others who would disagree.

So many thing are subjective, one guy wants a smoother all day bike, the other wants to live on the edge, even though I would have no problem with either on my Z. I cant disagree since you own both and I dont know if we have done the same thing to our Z's I'm also sure the MXC I rode suspension could not have been dialed in properly since it was like riding on bricks, very harsh..... but Duke the only thing I really dont get is the "vibration about the same". The 525 MXC 2004 I rode compared to my 2004DRZE is NIGHT AND DAY, The vibration in the KTM bars and in the motor is something I could never get used to. Maybe KTM dropped the ball on later years or Suzuki dialed in the engine better but that was the first thing to turn me off.

I also own both, a 00 Z E and a 03 525 MXC, both have upgraded suspension and a few (!) other upgrades as well.

There's no comparing performance, the KTM put me in another level instantly! And that was before setting up suspension, the KTM front was a clicked a lot stiffer which tended to wear me out quicker than the Z, problem easily fixed.

The only thing that I had to work on, was to get accostumed to throttle control, the Z is a lot more friendly, makes a big difference on nasty hills and whoops.

Will not get rid of the Z though...

Jsuhr,

About the vibes, I have ridden several different KTMs and none have had a vibration prob.I'm only talking about the rfs engine, not 2 stroes or the LC4 620, both of which can be paint shakers. If you get a chance ride a different one.

That said, I have not ridden a 520 so I can't comment on that. I have ridden the 400 and both versions of the 450. The factory EXC/MXC is small bore (from 400) long stroke (from 520). The SX is big bore (from 520) and short stroke (from 400). I much prefer the short stroke version.It just rips everywhere and has stump pulling bottom end. On steep techinal stuff you can short shift and keep the rpm down for traction, but have instant power when you have the traction to use it. Just thinking about it makes me want to go out and ride. No, wait, it's dark out....

?

I don't see how you can think about comparing the two bikes. If I wanted an off road race bike I would not have bought the DRZ. If I wanted a MX bike it would not be a DRZ or KTM. Next you will be comparing the DRZ against the GoldWing. ?

Actually it's very easy to compare them. I ride the same trails with guys on DRZs, WRs, XRs, CRFs, etc. We pretty much all have the same goal while we are out there. We are just using different bikes to do the same thing. we all don't agree on which works best for each of us. Two of the guys I ride with are on CRF250s and they love them, except they both burn oil like crazy. I don't like them, only 10 lbs less than the KTM and no torque. Ride what you like, but if you don't compare them, how do know that you are on the bike that works best for you?