Sign in to follow this  

break in ???

I just got a 2004 rmz how should i break it in i asked the deal they said not to beat on it but i read in hear you should ride it like u stole it so how should i break her in

i did heat cycles with mine.run 5 mins shut off ,run 10 mins putt around, then putt around for 15 mins using all the gears but dont hold wide open.short spurts on,off the gas.make sure you let it cool down every time.then the next day i went to the track rode it for 20 mins,but never held it wide open for long periods of more than 5 seconds.then let it cool down completly.then i hammered on it.

Break in! Break the bike in how you will race it. Dont worry about break in unless you are carmichael, just change you oil after the first two rides. All bikes are ran pretty hard from the factory.

I've heard that in Japan they run like every 5th or 10th bike on a dyno just to make sure the HP and torque are within a certain quality control range. Plus the do it to make sure that at least some of the bikes don't have shifting issues. Even though I have yet to ride a green bike that doesn't have a problem missing gears every once in a while.

They run every bike. The break in period is designed to get the customer framiliar with the bike more than it is for the motor. You can take a brand new 250f apart and find that the top of the piston is black from being ran when it was assembled for the first time. Just to be sure the rings are seated correctly you may want to start it and run it at an idle for two mins then shut it off. Let it cool then start it and run it wide open for about a min then shut it off. After that your done.

I've never heard of a motor being broken in in 1 minute but I would break it in pretty hard. Just ride through each gear easily so you give the tranny at least a little intro to riding before you go all out.

I heat cycle the engine once before riding it. Then I run it through each gear at medium load once, cool in between theese two steps and ride it like I stole it.