Stock Jetting on a crf250x

I have a california crf250x stock no mods. I have already turned the fuel screw out 1/4 turn to clean up the popping but I still have a slight hesitation 1/4 to half throttle. I do not want to cut the air box or buy a 70.00 jetting kit. Has anybody messed with the stock jetting on there califorrnia crf250x without cutting the airbox and if so what jetting id you end up with?

Thanks ?

My understanding is that the California X is jetted pretty well right out of the crate.

???????????????

Mine was way lean out of the factory. I went up to like a 145 or a 148 before doing any of the airbox mods or anythign else. With airbox mods, Dr.D exhaust and backfire screen removed I am getting a good golden burn running a 152...

Also how did yo get your X street legal in CA????

My understanding is that the California X is jetted pretty well right out of the crate. Try the needle adjustment suggestion and it may do the trick.

? You have got to be kidding! The X has got to be the leanest stock bike ever released to the public. A JD jet kit and airbox cut yields 20percent more power throughout the power band. (well pretty close). Even choked down with the stock airbox the air/fuel mixture is too lean, white plug city. Realize this condition is necessary to get the green sticker, so having to jet a new bike is worth it. Mike in Modesto

How much more should I go on the main jet while Im in there?

I don't know what the difference would be jetting-wise w/ a CA model, but we went with the following:

42 pilot

150 main

two slots richer on needle

again, this is on a non-CA model, completely stock w/ regards to exhaust, airbox, etc.

Well I did it today, re-jetted had to get the jets from the Yamaha dealer, Honda didnt even carry jets? Well any way it took about a hour I took my time I could have done it faster. What I ended up with on a bone stock California model was a 42 pilot, 140 main, needle clip droped one place. I had no trouble getting the needle out I just took the seat and tank off and used regular allen wrenches and just tilted the carb back and forth, to easy. the hardest jet was the pilot to put back in you have to balance it on the screw driver and fish it up into the hole with your finger. Initial setting on the fuel screw was two turns to start-with. The bike started right up with very little choke time reved very nice but have a little smoke about 1/8 throttle then it cleaneed up when I got to about half throttle, tommorow I will turn the fuel screw in a half turn and I think I got it! ?