Sign in to follow this  

All in the name of science! (mpg study)

Ok, I took one for the team. As gas prices rise above $2, I wanted to find out just how much my gas mileage would be affected if I did my darndest to control my throttle hand. It was NOT fun. 100 miles with no wheelies and nothing over 1/2 throttle (except emergencies) makes Mike a dull boy. :cry: But here are the results...

The Bike:

<ul type="square">[*]'01 DRZ-E

[*]Full Yosh Exhaust

[*]K&N

[*]Jetted by a dealership for previous owner so I have no idea what settings but it does run very nicely so it appears right

[*]Deathwings (18 lbs. front, 22 lbs. rear, not balanced, with rim locks)

[*]Stock "E" gearing

[*]Baja Designs kit

[*]Amsoil 10W-40 Synthetic Oil (750 mi. on the oil)

[*]approx. 1000 mi. on the bike total

[*]Trailtech speedo was calibrated via the "1-rotation of the front wheel" method so it may be slightly off but it seems pretty close. Note that it will still be consistant so although MPG numbers may be slightly off, the % difference between normal riding and economy riding is still correct.

The Test:

<ul type="square">[*]Dallas, TX

[*]93 octane (premium) gas

[*]13 mi. commute each way

[*]40 mph speed limit both ways

[*]20 mph school zones (5 on the way to work, none back)

[*]Approx. 8 lights and 4 stopsigns each way, only one or two that I had to wait more than 30 seconds or 2 rotations

[*]Mostly 58 - 90 degrees except one day where it was in the upper 40's

[*]On that one day I used my heated vest (on medium) but shut off the engine at 2 or 3 lights to compensate

[*]1 - 2 min. warm-up at every cold start

[*]99.9% road (I cut through 1 field that has a fire lane through it on the way home)

[*]Normally ride medium-high pace with a couple wheelies, fast starts, and hit the rev-limiter once in a while

[*]"Economy" riding included nothing more than 1/2 throttle, no wheelies :cry:, and general easing on and off the gas as a car would :lol:

The Results:

<ul type="square">[*]Normal Tank of Gas: 48 mpg

[*]Economy Riding: 52.47 mpg

[*]9.3% increase in mpg

The Verdict:

<ul type="square">[*]NOT WORTH IT!!!

[*]Wheelie more

[*]Hit the gas more

[*]You only live once, Have more fun! :cry::cry:

[*]These bikes get such good gas mileage that the extra MPG is not worth your time!

Now go out and loft that front end a few times in thanks for my sacrifice! :cry:

I am getting about the same thing on my 01 E

I restricted my pushrod stroke on the carb squirter.

Not trying to steel your post but what is the big deal about the stock FCR carb compared to the S model?

Seems like all we have to do on the FCR is the main jet and use the stock needle.

The S guys have to do the DJ needle and fiddle with a lot more and get less milage in the end.

Can someone splain me?

E's are just more volumetricaly efficient???? ( I def. ain't no spelling bee winner) :cry:

I feel some flames in the kitchen :cry:

Now go out and loft that front end a few times in thanks for my sacrifice!

Trust me Mike I think most of us had more than enough wheelies already on credit for your sacrifice before you even started. :cry: :cry:

not wheelie! wow I practically have to sit on the fender and clutch the heco outa it ant then I can get a little wheelie must fix this can't wait for my FCR, 3X3, pipe and 14/47 gearing then maybe I can try not to wheelie instead of visa/versa

The renton policce watched me do a 35 to 60 stand up wheelie followed me 3 blocks at 70 in a 35 then lit em up. OUCH :cry::lol: But luckily Iam blessed or something because the ride along girl (15 or 16) thought I was cute or something becuase she talked him out of giving the threatened neg 1 wreckless and speeding then why not evasion. The sum of that would have cost me over 900.oo to pay a lawyer to fight and do a couple of days on the evasion bit. So the moral is boys and girls look behind you to see if a niehgbor hood pig is watching before you @#@$ around :cry: :cry: :cry::lol::cry:

not wheelie! wow I practically have to sit on the fender and clutch the heco outa it ant then I can get a little wheelie must fix this can't wait for my FCR, 3X3, pipe and 14/47 gearing then maybe I can try not to wheelie instead of visa/versa

Wow is rite 1st and 2nd Ihave to sit on the tank to keep the front down and can do easy 35 mph throttle wheelies no clutch thats cheating. :cry: One word yosh :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm getting about 65 gallons with the same mods on my "S" without taking it easy. And I'm about 220lbs.

I'm getting about 65 gallons with the same mods on my "S" without taking it easy. And I'm about 220lbs.

what kind of gas tank do you have. i have never heard of one that holds 65 GALLONS. :cry:

lol, that is one big ass tank. But I too get around 120-130 miles before I hit reserve. If the front is down, that is because I am backing it into the next corner. :cry:

Its nice to know Im not the only one who wheelies frequently on the pavement, I was starting to feel ashamed, kinda like dirty magazine in grandma's bathroom on summer vacation ashamed. I get about 100miles to a tank.

I am getting about the same thing on my 01 E

I restricted my pushrod stroke on the carb squirter.

Not trying to steel your post but what is the big deal about the stock FCR carb compared to the S model?

Seems like all we have to do on the FCR is the main jet and use the stock needle.

The S guys have to do the DJ needle and fiddle with a lot more and get less milage in the end.

Can someone splain me?

E's are just more volumetricaly efficient???? ( I def. ain't no spelling bee winner) :cry:

I feel some flames in the kitchen :cry:

completely different carb.S model has the 36mm CV bsr.the E/K has the FCR.

we are lucky living at high alt in the sense that the stock needle works in the fcr well.its ok at sea level,but not the best.

I get about 30mpg with my FCR/Yosh on my "S" doing WFO off-roading...30mpg doing that kind of riding is still pretty good IMO. Staying off the squirter will yield better results but once ya have a FCR who wants to do that :cry:

I'm getting totally different results than yellowducati. When I'm easy on the gas, thats less then 1/3 throttle, I can get up to 180km before hitting the reserve. When I'm riding hard, that's reving the &*#@ out of her, I get only 130km before hitting the reserve. If you do the math, that's 73MPG VS. 52MPG. Both of these were mainly city rides. I think that's quite a difference!!! Actually, I don't think I've ever had a bike that had it's fuel mile vary this much base on the way I'm riding.

Yes...65 gallons. I've got the DRZ-EV model. EV for Exxon Valdez. I get about 2112.5 miles out of it. In fact, I haven't had to fill it up since I bought it. :cry:

If you mean Plano Rd. in Plano between Custer and Independence, then Yup! I do ride through Richardson but not on Plano Rd. By then I'm on Independence or Campbell.

Are you in a car (shame, shame) or on a bike?

You may also see me in my other incarnations, my '03 FJR (light silver) and the very exclusive (meaning I almost never ride it to work) Yellow Ducati 900ss. :cry:

Hey there...living close to the promotobillet place, do you get better deals on there stuff? :cry:

I've yet to pipe/jet/uncork mine, so I still get 100 miles before I hit reserve riding HARD on the squirter. (off-road model)

MR.Yellowducati900ss,

Its good to see a TSBA guy on here.

Now that I live nor-cal I dont take the GS out much :cry:.

I miss the TSBA :cry:.I have gone from 300/350 miles a week to may be 20 miles a week(on the street). I try and do the dirt thing once a week,may be need to split that up :cry:.

I was going to try and make the IBI but some stuff came up and I had to pass,maybe the HTHIBI will get me back to TX??

By the way, I use to be TillerNutt(on the tsba board) till I sold the TL and got my DRZ-s . Now I am just plain ol Nutt.

Laters

Nutt

I wanted to find out just how much my gas mileage would be affected if I did my darndest to control my throttle hand. It was NOT fun. 100 miles with no wheelies and nothing over 1/2 throttle (except emergencies) makes Mike a dull boy. :cry: But here are the results...

The Results:

<ul type="square">[*]Normal Tank of Gas: 48 mpg

[*]Economy Riding: 52.47 mpg

[*]9.3% increase in mpg

The Verdict:

<ul type="square">[*]NOT WORTH IT!!!

[*]Wheelie more

[*]Hit the gas more

[*]You only live once, Have more fun! :cry::cry:

[*]These bikes get such good gas mileage that the extra MPG is not worth your time!

Studies have shown that accelerating up to cruising speed using approximatly 3/4 throttle will actually net you better fuel economy then slowly accelerating. The reality is this doesn't always correlate to the real world, but I've found it often does. All bets are off, however, when you got past 3/4 throttle and start getting into the accelerator pump :cry: