Sign in to follow this  

94 xr250L shuts down

I have 94 xr250L that just shuts off after idling for 2-3 mins. I bought this about a month ago and it only has 1500 miles on it. Any ideas??

Tom: a little more info, plz. How does it idle before it shuts off? Any mods to the bike? Have you tried the the throttle screw and fuel screw? Old gas? Dirty carb? Give us another chance. 😢

What do you mean?

Does it just conk out from low rev's?

Is this when its cold?

Is it running out of fuel? Have you got the fuel tap on?

Can you ride it? and it conks out, or keeps going or what?

Need more info!

Every time my xr250l dies after 2-3 minutes of idling it's becuase my fuel tank switch is turned off. I forget about every other time! 😢 I've even ridden off and then had it die, check that first!

I have tried the throttle screw, but not the fuel screw.

The gas is maybe 1 month old and the gas shutoff is on.

The bike is bone stock.

I have noticed a couple of things, 1)when you roll the throttle on and then back off it doesn't go back to idle as fast as I think it should. I hvae checked the accelerator and decelerator cables and they are not hanging up. The throttle returns to its stopping position , but the engine rpms doesn't fully drop to a full idle sometimes for 5-15+ seconds. The rpm does drop , but it takes awhile to go back to the low idle speed. It seems like it will sit at one idle speed for awhile then eventually drop to normal idle.

When it does drop down to the normal idle it idles smoothely then there is a slight cough or pop and it shuts off. All of this is done with the bike sitting in the driveway and the choke is off. I had a second problem that turned out to be a faulty neutral switch. If I put the bike in gear (with the side stand down) then it would shut off.

I bypassed the switch by shorting the wire to the frame and that problem went away. The idle problem so far I can't figure out.

Hope this is enough detail.

Yeah, the kick stand switch is designed to shut the bike off if the kickstand is down. I guess in some states that is a requirement for road legalization. In terms of the idle problem, it sounds like a definite carb problem, I would probably try to take the carb off and spray it all out with carb cleaner.