Sign in to follow this  

New 05 Impression and questions??

I picked up my bike today from International Motorcycle Brokers.

I brought it home and a buddy of mine and I pulled the linkage and steering stem apart. Steering bearing had plenty of grease. Linkage was a little dry so I lubed it up.

Next I pulled the air filter and cleaned and oiled it. I am coming from a YZ250F and I can tell you that if the 05 made improvements on the ease of filter maintenance than it must have been a serious pain before. Is there any filter that makes it easier like maybe the twin air power flo\screenless system? I notice that the filter cage is very bulky.

I put in a JD Kit and a zip ty fuel screw. It had a 165 mj. JD calls for a 178 4000 and below. Put in the red needle in the 5th position.

It had oil in it which suprised me because Motorcycle Brokers website says it comes empty? I still drained and replaced the oil just to be on the safe side.

It has two bolts holding the seat. I thought they said there was going to be a single bolt this year.

Tires on the canadian model are 756 rear 742F front. 742 looks alot like the 756.

So other than the air filter being a bigger chore than I expected everything was a breeze. Compared to Yamaha everything makes way more sense how its designed. The bigger frame makes it a little more difficult to get your hands into the carb and other engine areas but nothing too bad. The bike looks awesome!

Congrats!!! Let us know how the Jetting works out for you. Don't forget to check/loctite the kickstarter bolt. Mine was loose, and may have lost it on the first ride if I hadn't tightened it! :cry:

Thanks for the kickstarter bolt heads-up Jimbo. It got the loctite treatment as I continue to prep the bike. I've had the '05 now for 3 weeks and still haven't rode it. Any other bolts that need loctite in your opinion?

Congrats on the new bike. I'm curious how the transition goes from a yz250f to the crf450. I am about to sell my YZ250F and am either going to pickup the crf250 or 450. I'm leaning towards the 250 since I thought my YZ had plenty of power and I was comfortable on it. I'm wondering how easy the 450 is to ride compared to the yz250f or if it is a night and day difference. Thanks for any input.

Congrats on the new bike. I jumped off of a YZ 250F in '03 onto my '04 CRF & I love it.

The best way to solve the tight airbox problem is to invest in Twin Air's airbox kit. It comes w/a new sealing ring, filter cage and backfire filter. It's a little pricy, but it makes changing airfilters a breeze. Very sleek. As well, not having a screen in the cage improves the power. It really works well. I highly recommend it along w/the JD jet kit.

The tires are the same as the US models. The 756 rear is awesome. but wears fast. The 742 is just OK IMHO. I'd go w/ a 739 front for hardpack or a 756RR for int to soft.

Also, remove the stock chain and save it for when you sell the bike. Get an O or X ring chain.

Good luck!

I have two rides on my 05' and love it. I have had three yz250f and had some concerns before buying the crf450. I have no more concerns. It feels for like a 250 than other 450 I have ridden. The only thing is the front end tends to push out on faster sweepers. Anyone have the same problem and if so whats the cure? (I have allready tried raising the fork tubs 5mm)

Regarding the front end pushing, I have had great success w/20mm offset clamps on my '04. I know Honda moved the front axle back 2mm for '05 so I guess 22mm offset clamps would get you in the same ballpark, however it is an all new chasis. I'm sure the aftermarket guys are testing the hot new offset as we speak! I came off of many years of YZ250 2 strokes and an '03 YZ250F so I def understand the difference in how the turning feels.

Also, ditch the front Dunlop 742. Try a 739 or 756 depending on the conditions. You'll notice.

I put the 20mm Emig clamps off my 02 on my 05,it turns well,no headshake so far,the thing is a jet,I do feel it could hurt you if you had a brain f----t and forgot what you were on but I love mine.

Skip#7

Man are you right!! It can hurt you quick. I have had every CRF450 from 2002 on. The new 2005 is far faster and better than all the previous years. It is so responsive now and it will get you in trouble quicker. WHAT A GREAT BIKE!!!!

TB

I wonder if most people who talks about "front end pushing" with the CRF really feel it or just repeating what the mags are saying? :cry:

Thanks for the kickstarter bolt heads-up Jimbo. It got the loctite treatment as I continue to prep the bike. I've had the '05 now for 3 weeks and still haven't rode it. Any other bolts that need loctite in your opinion?

The only other bolt found loose, was the screw on the tank that holds on the front seat latch. That one was kinda loose. But I didn't worry about loctiting it. And make sure to check the spokes. Mine were loose from the factory, and they stretched after the first two rides so far. :cry:

I could feel my 03 pushing until I had the suspension set up properly.....My 05 is stock and I don't feel it pushing at all. In fact I was too confident and went into a corner in last week's race to pass someone on the outside and the dufus flagger with the hose to quell the dust laid down a mud streak right in the line I chose. I went down and got 4 stroke fever trying to restart the bike because I forgot to shift to neutral. When I finally got it started....I was in 2nd....went over the face of the jump out of the turn too slow and stalled the bike on impact sending me over the bars. Best thing about it?.....no radiator damage or subframe damage like I know would have happened on my 03. Oh yeah....there isn't one bolt to hold the seat on...it's a one piece bolt now....where it used to be two pieces (a collar and the bolt).

I got the same machine and I would like to lube the rear suspencion. Is this the linkage you are refering to? This is not in the manuel. Whats involved do I have to remove the swing arm? frame members? shock? any advice, thanks

The bike Rips!!! I had an 03 before, and the 05 make the 03 feel big, slower, and handle like a pig.

The 05 pulls harder, turns better, feels smaller, and lighter than my 03.

The bike is awsome!!!! :cry:

Interesting....

The 03 guys said the same thing about the 02 CRF450R. The 04 guys said the same thing about the 03's. Now, the 05 guys are saying the same thing about the 04's.

Based on this, the 02 must be crap? :cry:

The bike Rips!!! I had an 03 before, and the 05 make the 03 feel big, slower, and handle like a pig.

The 05 pulls harder, turns better, feels smaller, and lighter than my 03.

The bike is awsome!!!! :cry:

Ive got a 04 and bought 22mm clamps and still pushes wish i had boughten 20mm onstead but cant afford another 300 bucks.I would rather put the 300 towards an 05 and save my 22mm for the 05.