Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400-SM tire swap- Round 2

OK still got my heart set on the new SM, in black. I see Pirelli makes MT-60's that should fit. The front is exactly the right size, 120/70-17. The Pirelli rear is a bit larger, 160/60-17 vs. stock size 140/70-17. After seeing all those pics of the guy riding his V-Strom through a foot of mud, I say what the hell! I'll probably ride way more street than trail anyway, just put on the Pirellis and leave 'em. Question is:

1. Anyone use these tires, how are they?

2. Would that bigger rear tire cause any problems? :cry:

Thanks for any input!

I have used these tires before on a CCM. In fact, I did my first race on them.

They have great grip, especially so for the street. For racing, they are a really good 10-20 lap tire, but even when they run past max traction, they were fairly predictable. They do work very well in the dirt for a street tire, and for rain, they are simply the best tire that you can have on the bike that are street legal that I know of.

The downsides are that they are a bit pricey, and that the rear will wear our a bit faster, and they are a little wide.

For my DRZ SM that I am building, I am thinking that I will run the MTR60 up front, with something else on the rear like a grippy 150 from ???

Mike

Thanks Mike, I was looking at either those Pirellis or the Avon Distanzas. The Pirellis definitely look a little more dirt worthy especially for the light trail riding I might do. And at this early stage it sure beats shelling out for a whole new wheel set. Thanks again.