Sign in to follow this  

What is the dealer's cost on an '05 CRF450?

Does anyone work at a dealer or has seen the actual number? My guess would be about $5561.

One dealer in my area quoted me $6650 OTD or $6430 if we didn't have a state sales tax.

i couldn't find the 05 450 price, but I bet it's without all the BS fees.

but... my dealer sold a bunch of 05 450 crfs for 5975 otd.

for some reason, they have it listed under the off-road section and not the mototcross section.

The price the dealer gets the bike for is extremely low and so low that you would want to cry and kick yourself in the balls. You dont want to know. Im friends with some of the local pros and one told me that he gets a 125 and 250 for $4,000. They have to mark up the bikes though to make money. So if you want a bike for cheap get fast and get hooked up by your local shop.

my dealer claims his invoiced price is $5824. i know they have a "hold back." of $50 or $100 when the bike is sold.

I beleive there is a 5% dealer hold back, that is not shown on the invoice price = $289.45 so true cost are $5499.55 I'm not sure if the dealers get 100% of the hold back, back :cry:

I just spoke with someone in sales at Huntington Beach Honda as was mentioned. $7295 OTD is not much of a deal

yeah, at $7295 they'll be high-fivin' each other as soon as you leave with the bike! :cry:

Folks, IF the dealer WAS making $50 to $500 on each bike they sold,they would go bankrupt! I used to work in sales.

TRUST me. Whatever the list is, the dealer is getting the bike for about ONE HALF that. Proof of this mark up margin,

is FORD. For years they have been selling Taurus cars for OVER $23,000. This is the last model year for the Taurus.

At the begining of this year Ford announced the Taurus for 04 would be sold for $10,500! The local dealers are just NOW selling them for $11,500. ALL business have to make a profit to stay in buseniss. They will sell things for what ever people are willing to pay. If the dealer pays more than $4000 I'd be real surprised. DO NOT fall for that phoney INVOICE price either. They all get a factory kick back based on the number of units they sell.

not even close...bikes make em some change but PARTS AND ACCESSORIES make them the bucks...

its kinda like Thrifty's ice cream...give them the ice cream for 39 cents and they will spend money on everything else in the store that is marked up and makes money.

Local dealers dont mind giving great deals on bikes if you are a racer...they will make the money back 10 fold on the parts they sell to you.

Honda is the one making the killing...NOT THE DEALER. I would bet money the markup is not more then 10-15% then a dealer pays for it to leave the factory...

kritter, you are absolutely correct. back in the mid 90's, the honda cost ran 17% from retail price. if you added 20% to their cost, you got the retail pride. recently, the high demand bikes like CRFs have had lower mark ups. the "un-popular" bikes like the CR125 are probably close to the old 17% from retail price.

the local dealers here resort to adding in a B.S. handling / prep charge of $285 and a doc fee of $129 to ensure some profit.

I think RigaMortise is pretty close for current '05 sales. But, there are many factors involved. I don't think it is as simple as a flat "dealer cost" per bike. I think previous year sales volume, area demographics, season, segment of model year, supply and demand, etc., all play a part. I truly don't think a dealer "pays" for a bike, then sells it for a profit. I think it works more like car sales. Manufacturers distribute units to the certified dealers that they feel will sell them. They supply a figure on each bike (depending on all the above mentioned factors that can change at any given time) that the dealer will be expected to pay upon selling that unit. And, on special clearance and end-of-model-year sales, the manufactures authorize lower invoice prices, allowing dealers to sell at much lower prices, and still make a profit. I would bet my dealer made $600-$700 on my $6300 '05, being the "first on the list" '05 CRF450R.

And as for asking if anyone that is a saleman/dealer to reply...good luck, any real dealer with the inside track would be fired for sure if they let these figures out! :cry:

Lakehill Motors in Corinth MS is selling 05 crf450's for $5699. That's the cheapest I have seen them. http://www.hondadiscountprices.com/

the price only works if you are buying at the shop. i called them. the saleman sounded like adam sandler in "waterboy."

they will do a straw purchase where you give somebody power of attorney to buy the bike for you and ship it to you. i don't feel comfortable buying a bike that way. there are tons of dealers who will sell you a bike in-crate.

:cry:

A buddy of mine owns a Honda dealership in VA and gets the bikes for $5400.

Here ya go/

On a bike like this it is apporximately: MSRP - $1000

Doh! Didn't realize Honda is trying to gouge another $200 out of your wallets for the '05. Honda is making a killing on these 450's the cost of manufacturing a 450 is probably less than $100 more than a 250.

Here is the new price on an '05 : $6699 - $1000 = $5699 - 5% holdback = $5414.05

I got my bike for $5,500 OTD, the dealer said they were "losing money" because they bought it for $5,400. I don't know how much I believe of that though... But if they did buy it for that and sold it for msrp they would be making $900. :cry: