Sign in to follow this  

450 Fuel mileage

I know that it will vary greatly but do those of you that use your 450 for trail riding have any idea of how far you can go on a tank of fuel?

I honestly don't know, but Sunday I did some trail riding and we rode for 6 hours without stopping. Well, we stopped a couple of times for 4 or 5 minutes. But when we got back to the camp site I had probably about 1/2 of a quart of gas in the bottom of my tank. One of my friends was on a 400EX and he had to put his bike on reserve as soon as we got back to the camp site. We all started with a completely full tank.

I run the stock fuel tank with fuel in the frame rails. That gives me a hair over 2.5 gallons. That's good for about 70 miles or a 2 hour harescramble with just about a quart left. Without fuel in the frame I can get barely 50 miles, less in the mud and cannot finish a 2 hour race.

Like you said it varies. I’ve got the TrailTech computer and have been keeping a rough log on this. The best I’ve done on easy single track here in Arizona was 25 MPG. I need to also tell you I was on a death ride that was some really nasty single track recently. My computer said I rode 31 or 33 miles, I can’t remember and the logs at home. When I filled up at the gas station later, I put 1.940 gallons in. So like you said, it does vary. I’ll be getting a bigger tank soon just to be safe.

I run the stock fuel tank with fuel in the frame rails. That gives me a hair over 2.5 gallons.

Good idea, I dont think that I would like the oversized tank on my bike because of increased width. I dont suppose you have pictures of how you did this. :cry: :cry:

buy a clark , plenty of fuel- no extra width.if there is I cant tell and its worth it

What do you do to put fuel in the frame rails? Do you need to treat the frame rails?

I can get over 90 miles out of my 3.3 gal Clarke tank. Doing normal riding and about 70 hauling a$$.

On Colorado trail riding - sometimes aggressive - I got 34 mpg.

You can't just eyeball the ol tank or guesstimate how much fuel you poured IMHO.

I actually used a measuring containter to get the 34 mpg figure. Now as to whether or not the crf will pull the last ounces of fuel from the stock OEM tank I don't know.

BB

I did 42 miles in Ocala forest (sand) once and was glad I got back to camp when I did. Maybe a cup or two left the tank. Friends have odo's on there bikes, I try and get back to the truck by 40. I'm spanked by then anyway (old and fat). :cry:

So how much extra gas do you get with the in frame mod, and on the 05, the frame looks thinner and shorter then an 04. we have a winter hare scramble series out here, pretty high speed and my 02 would burn about 3.2 gals in 2hrs 10mins

With the wide speed gearbox I have no problems getting 60 miles a tank. And thats out in open. In the tight stuff it would be better. :cry:

25 to 30 miles per gallon is what I get.

So with my Clarke 3.3 gallon tank I should be able to go 80 miles (128km) before running out.

+sean