Designing a new DualSport/Enduro computer needing input

I am desiging a new dualsport/enduro computer with everything displayed in one display, odo, speed, time, ride time and a digital rollchart ..

Needing input on:

dislikes

Nice to haves

Needs to have

and New features...

I've used an ICO to do all of our route mileages for years as well as rides. Great unit but.......

Likes: LARGE NUMBERS ON THE READOUT!, durability, overall size, rugged case (same size since the beginning, readily available aftermarket mounts, easy to reset back to an earlier mileage reading (button hold), fairly easy to adjust tire size.

Dislikes: Buttons too hard to push, computer functions difficult to do and use on the trail (needed for enduro racing only), reset to "0" is either a power down or a long hold on the bottom button, computer functions not needed for dual sport riding. Speedo function is a simultanious push on both buttons (hard to accomplish on the fly), dismal battery life using "356" batteries that are too expensive, no auto-power off (if you leave it on it will drain the batteries in about 100 hours), no lighting option, and no clock.

I'm sure that more recent electronics and displays draw less current and lithium batteries would make another unit last a year or more. On demand back or side lighting like cell phones would make it useable at night. Slightly bigger and more tactile buttons would make a new unit easier to operate. Limited computer functions to make the unit EASY to operate on the fly and make less chance for error. Making the ODO #'s BIG and a small speedo readout in a corner of the screen would be great, with a clock below the speedo readout would be killer!

Hope your effort is successful!

Dave T

One more quick note: Ride time (assuming you meand elapsed time) would be good for enduro's but not needed for DS. An on screen digital roll chart would not be practical. In most cases the roll chart is barely ready one to three days before the event. They can be up to 12 feet long (LA-B-to-V style for 200-250 miles per day). Data entry for the charts would be problematic due to the number of different formats the charts would be prepared in. Scanning would take up a lot of memory even if you could come up with a format that would allow scrolling through page breaks. There are also insurance issues for allowing this information to be disseminated before an event. Promoters only get insurance for the operational days of participants riding the designated routes of travel.

Dave

Make an adapter for an existing speedometer cable for those who want to 'plug & play'. I'd pay $20-25 for such a device (just the adapter). Some bikes don't have clean paths to route the pickup wires and it makes sense to use a known good/reliable cable that is already present and working on our bikes.

i'd like to have a set of remote buttons closer to the grips...even if it's just one button that scrolls through the different displays.

also, if you can make it integrate with a pc it would be awesome. say you wanted to change your speedo ratio, or put in a route sheet that you created from a gps route...

if not powered by the bike...how about a decent rechargable battery?

but, to actually answer your question:

I like a full odo, trip odo reset to tenths, speedo with user recalibration, water proof, if it comes with a decent handlebar mount you'd be an F-ing Hero!

To all those who have posted to this thread, many thanks -- Alot of good input and I am adding them to my Requirements documentation...

One question I do have for all is the a functionality question, if you change Odometers(Trip Odometer) or zero out the Odometer, would it be a nice to have, not needed -- to have the ride time zero out as well ?

Three Odo functions/displays are needed.

1. total mileage.

2. one button resetable trip meter. Miles since last gas stop.

3. Navigation odo with adjustable mileage display. Need to be able to reset to correct mileage when you blow the turn and return to the course.

The DRZ400S has about the best digital Odo set up for dual sport. The KTM digital Odo is great with the remote buttons near the grip.

Look at Trail Tech's Endurance computer and add what else has been said here. That unit is awesome and already includes about 90% of what has been said above and more. The two things I don't like about it is that the back-light only stays on for about 3 sec. and you have to find the button in the dark to turn it on, and depending on where you mount it it can be VERY vulnerable in a crash.

• 2 weeks later...