Sign in to follow this  

Spark arrestor vs Slip-on with??

I have an 03 YZ250F and my stock exhaust does not have a spark arrestor or silencer insert. I would like to know whether I should add a spark arrestor and silencer insert, or get an after market slip-on that has the aresstor and silencer insert already.

Will adding a slip-on add to the power of the bike or does that require a full exhaust upgrade?

Please give me your feed-back and/or suggestions as to brands and models to consider.

Thanks for your help.

mike :cry:

It depends on how much you want to spend and what you would like to gain in performance. The stock YZF pipe is actually a very good performing pipe. Aftermarket slip-ons do more to allow you to "move" the performance around in the powerband. However, the stock YZF pipe with a silent insert does not perform as well as an aftermarket pipe with a silent tip. At least in my experience, the DrD with silent insert is better than my YZF exhaust with PMB SA/insert. It is however, a complete system not just a slip on.

There are several endcaps that can be mounted to the stock YZF pipe that include a spark arrestor and silent insert. They all go for ~$150 and are easy to install. See below:

http://www.thumperfaq.com/not_free_exhaust.htm#SA

If you have more to spend and want to "tune" your powerband, and aftermarket slip-on is the way to go. Which you get will depend on how you want to affect your powerband.

Most aftermarket pipes may peak in a specific range, but they generally add power over the whole range. They dont just move it around.

At least the ones willing to offer a dyno comparison.