Sign in to follow this  

QUAD death will close my old riding area in NJ

This was one of the last areas to ride in central NJ, and now a(nother) quad death will probably close it.....

Published in the Asbury Park Press 10/18/04

By DAN KAPLAN

and KEITH BROWN

STAFF WRITERS

A 7-year-old Keyport boy remembered for his unselfish ways was killed over the weekend in an all-terrain vehicle accident near the Monmouth County landfill, police and family members said yesterday.

Jason Graves, a second-grader at Keyport Central School, was pronounced dead about 11:30 p.m. Saturday at Jersey Shore University Medical Center in Neptune, Kim Sullivan, a family friend, said.

"If someone was in line at the water fountain, Jason let everyone go first," said Sullivan, 40, whose 7-year-old son was best friends with the boy. "He let all the kids go in front of him, and he'd wait his turn. . . . He was such a sweet little boy."

The boy was riding on the ATV with his father when the accident happened about 2:15 p.m. Saturday, Sullivan said yesterday. He suffered internal injuries to his liver and lost a substantial amount of blood. The father, also named Jason Graves and an avid ATV rider, was not injured.

The accident happened off Asbury Avenue, somewhere between Earle Naval Weapons Station and the landfill, Colts Neck police Sgt. Richard Maxwell said.

The area borders both Colts Neck and Tinton Falls and is popular with ATV riders, police said. Township police do not know the exact location nor the cause of the accident because neither police nor first-aiders were called to the scene, Maxwell said.

Maxwell said his department only learned of the accident when Tinton Falls police contacted them hours later. Township police have opened an investigation but so far have little to go on.

Tinton Falls Lt. Thomas Milano said his department does not have an open file on the case and considers it within Colts Neck jurisdiction. Milano also said the county Prosecutor's Office likely will take the lead on the investigation.

First Assistant Monmouth County Prosecutor Robert A. Honecker Jr. confirmed last night that his office is investigating the accident, but he could not provide details.

"It's a tragedy," Keyport Board of Education President Ed McNamara said last night. "We're all saddened by it. Keyport is a small environment, and when something like this happens, we're all affected by it."

ADVERTISEMENT

The kindergarten-through-seventh-grade school, with about 700 students, will have additional counselors in place today to assist students, staff and parents, McNamara said.

The boy's grandfather, Keith Smith, 49, of Jackson, said he gave the ATV to his grandson as a present about three or four weeks ago.

"I just had it in my shed," a shaken Smith said last night. "He said, 'Poppie, what are you going to do with the ATV?' He was all excited and happy about it."

Jason was a member of Cub Scout Pack 364, based in Keyport, and the Union Beach Little League, according to his obituary. He enjoyed fishing, swimming and working on cars with his father.

A public viewing will be held from 1 to 2 p.m. tomorrow at Scott and Kedz Home for Funerals, 153 Church St., Belford section of Middletown.

The funeral home is covering the cost of the service, and the school and community organizations have launched a fund-raiser to pay for the tombstone, Sullivan said.

"They're a very young couple," she said. "And who thinks about getting life insurance for your child when you're 26 and the child is 7?"

Donations can be made by contacting Sullivan or Principal Robert Higham at the school. The telephone number is (732) 264-0561.

The headlines should read "Stupid Man Kills Son". It really pisses me off to see stupid Quad riders (and stupid bike riders) that give us all a bad name. That kid had no business on that quad with his dad. Now because of his stupidity, a good riding area may be closed and worse... a little boy had to die.

One day, someone will invent a pill that cures stupidity. Then the world will be a better place.

Jimbo

if you do a search in the app website, every reported death and injury has been a quad.

I'm with you Dr.

No one knows the facts.

All I know is someones little boy is dead.

That is very sad. TT should help this Family ( I mean us members). A 26 yrs old couple losing thier son. The young guy was spending time with his kid. That is more than most 26 yrs old guys do. I hope his wife does not blame him. Tragedies like this can drive couples apart. It must be beyond Devistating :cry:

well said Doc :cry:

It strikes me as odd that we have a whole forum here dedicated to kids that have died in motorcycle accidents, and you'll find nothing but sympathy for their parents there (and rightfully so!)

Yet when its a 4 wheeler the kid is killed on so many jump in and blame the parents. None of you would consider typing "Stupid man kills son" in the Motoman393 forum would you? :cry:

Accidents happen in this hobby, bashing a kids parents (or grandparent in this case) for letting a kid have a bike or 4 wheeler is only gonna hurt the hobby, not help it.

It tears my heart out to hear these stories.

Let's all remember that all hobbies have inherent risks, but all ORV deaths combined don't even come close to the numbers of people we lose to Automobile accidents.

wow...thats so sad. Every time I hear of a little guy or girl getting hurt riding, I think about my two little ones and how devestated Id be if they were seriously injured from riding...or anything for that matter...then I always have doubts about myself as a father because I let my 6 year old son ride.

I can't imagine what the parents are going thru.....and I think about that poor boy's last moments in pain....truly a tragic story.

This is my brother in law who made this post. He and i both rode there and i still do until now!He and i both know that here in jersey (not sure about other states) quad riders seem to have the need to ride drunk, no gear (boots helmet so on),ive seen no shoes, three people on a quad. Just seems to me that quad riders have no respect for the sport maybe its because it takes no skill to ride on 4 wheels and that fuels all i said. You are all right though we dont know the details about this incident yet but i will soon find out and let everyone know. My heart right now goes out to the grieving family.

my deepest condolences to the graves family,this is a horrible tragedy,godspeed little jason.

one thing i will say-its the parents responsibility to never ever engage in illegal activity when children are present with that said,do any of you think that the child might of had a chance if they where riding a legal area with ems on site???ride legal!-quad riders are the #1 reason police hate motocross riders in jersey!!! :cry: :cry: :usa:godspeed little jason :cry: :cry: :cry:

one thing i will say-its the parents responsibility to never ever engage in illegal activity when children are present with that said,do any of you think that the child might of had a chance if they where riding a legal area with ems on site???ride legal!-quad riders are the #1 reason police hate motocross riders in jersey!!! :cry: :cry: :usa:godspeed little jason :cry: :cry: :cry:

I don't see anything in the story saying they were riding in an illegal area (or breaking any other law for that matter)

whats safer,

out on the street drinking smoking and involved in other ilegal activitys or riding a quad with ur dad, accidents happen.

whats safer,

out on the street drinking smoking and involved in other ilegal activitys or riding a quad with ur dad, accidents happen.

at 7 years old the safest approach would be playing with the puppy in the yard.

do any of you think that the child might of had a chance if they where riding a legal area with ems on site??? :cry: :cry: :usa:godspeed little jason :cry: :cry: :cry:

well?

You dont know NJ very well. Every square inch is 'owned' and NJ is the litigation capital of the world. There is 1(!) legal place to ride in NJ and it is expensive and crowded. You can dual sport but even then you get harrassed by police or rangers.

Believe me I feel terrible for the kid and his family... but everytime we rode there we would talk about it being a matter of time before someone is hurt or killed.

I don't see anything in the story saying they were riding in an illegal area (or breaking any other law for that matter)

Now because of his stupidity, a good riding area may be closed

How do i tell this little guy (My 4 year old son) He can't ride anymore!

jonphotos003.jpg.w560h373.jpg

The headlines should read "Stupid Man Kills Son". It really pisses me off to see stupid Quad riders (and stupid bike riders) that give us all a bad name. That kid had no business on that quad with his dad. Now because of his stupidity, a good riding area may be closed and worse... a little boy had to die.

One day, someone will invent a pill that cures stupidity. Then the world will be a better place.

Jimbo

Come on, bro... I've got as many complaints about quad riders as the next guy, but if this is your first response to reading this... I don't know. No where in the article did it list the facts of this accident. We don't know for certain that someone was acting like an idiot.

I don't know the skill set of either of the riders (father/son)-- I only know that it's nice to see that they were doing something together than they both enjoyed. My heart goes out to both of them right now. It's a rough sport and these accidents (regardless of the cause) are bound to happen.

You are dead wrong... it does list one critical fact in the article... the boy was riding the quad with his dad. What else do you need to know?? If he wanted to introduce his son to off-road riding, he should have bought the kid his own appropriately sized bike/quad, equipped him properly and trained him. No... he decided to put his son at needless risk by riding double. In most states it is illegal to ride double on a quad... and it certainly is against manufacturer's recommendations.

Jimbo

Jimbo

Come on, bro... I've got as many complaints about quad riders as the next guy, but if this is your first response to reading this... I don't know. No where in the article did it list the facts of this accident. We don't know for certain that someone was acting like an idiot.

I don't know the skill set of either of the riders (father/son)-- I only know that it's nice to see that they were doing something together than they both enjoyed. My heart goes out to both of them right now. It's a rough sport and these accidents (regardless of the cause) are bound to happen.

You are dead wrong... it does list one critical fact in the article... the boy was riding the quad with his dad. What else do you need to know?? If he wanted to introduce his son to off-road riding, he should have bought the kid his own appropriately sized bike/quad, equipped him properly and trained him. No... he decided to put his son at needless risk by riding double. In most states it is illegal to ride double on a quad... and it certainly is against manufacturer's recommendations.

Jimbo

That depends on the 4 wheeler... much like bikes, many are made for 2 people. The article doesnt mention what model 4 wheeler they were on.