Hollister Information

I was looking for some information on Hollister. Can you take a truck and trailer there and camp, or is day use only. Does anyone have a map or something that shows the camping areas, and are they usually full this time of year? Is there a map of the area? I have hear people mention the upper and lower ranch, are these accessable to all?

Thanks

I have hear people mention the upper and lower ranch, are these accessable to all?

AFAIK, the Upper Ranch is only available to 2-wheelers for special events and races, like the hare scrambles and MX races on the GP track. Usually the Upper Ranch areas are for 4x4s. Maybe you can ride them on a bike too, but with 4x4 vehicles and 2-way roads/trails, I'm not sure I'd want to.

The Lower Ranch is BIG, though, so you won't run out of trails to try, even in a couple of days. Definitely try the High Road, it's pretty easy and really fun.

If you have spouses and kids along who prefer regular bathrooms to porta-potties, then the best place to camp is below Radio Ridge on the west side. Take the downhill left turn directly after the Radio Ridge left turn off the main road.

Have fun! ?

Day use is $5, camping used to be $6 (I think its $10, but not sure as I only live an hour away)

There is a pay phone on the side of the building where you pay, and there is air on the fense accrossed from it for airing down.

The lower camp the person above mentioned has showers as well. there is big building the showers are on the far side. Never used them so I don't know about hot water, probably not, but good to get mud off.

I was wishing I brought a hose with me on Sunday. There were facets around but I didn't have a hose. There is a wash station at the Vintage track but you;ll get really muddy trying to get to it. ?

The nice thing about Hollister is MOST all the trails are 1 way and you always end up back at the main road, so you don't need a map, although it helps to check one out from time to time.

Have fun,

Upper Ranch is the 4x4 area, Lower Ranch is for bikes and quads. Honda Odeseys etc have a special area in the Upper Ranch.

In the Lower Ranch there is a road called "lower field", so many people (rangers too) call the whole area below the MX track the "lower field". Sometimes people call the upper part of Lower Ranch "upper field", or worse, "upper ranch" which is confusing.

Anways if they are on a bike not a ranger, or racing an event they are at lower ranch cause bikes aren't allowed there.

If you go 4x4ing on Upper Ranch, Five Fingers is a fun climb. I used to try Truck hill til I saw a couple 4x4's roll down it. First one made me nervous, 2nd one kept me off it. I sold my Jeep later, as I found Jeep stood for:

Just

Empty

Every

Pocket

Bikes aren't much better, but I feel much safer on my bike, and can usually predict much better how hard something will be.

Also got tired of helping get people unstuck in tank trap or some other trail. I think my jeep must of looked like a resque jeep or something, cause it was magnet for people that tired really dumb things to flag me down.

Always call ahead for the 4x4 side, as it closes a lot. the bike side is usually always 1/2 open.

Cheers,

Hollister has trees and the upper parts of lower ranch have a sandy soil that gets better with more water.

Carnigie is almost baren hills, two way trails and mostly just hill climbs. The clay soil there is nasty when wet.

Oh, Carnegie has more misquitos too during that time of the year. Hollister has more poison oak.

I like Hollister better, but its closer to home too.

Cheers,

im good on the trails, and ok on the track, i hope to see you out there, ill have black and grey shift gear on, that says RIP 203 Matt Stephens on it, and i have a blue X-treme helmet, the one wi/ the american flag

Alrighty, Its most likely i'll be out there as long as this flu goes away. Also, I'm 14 so if I try to pass you and fly off the side of a cliff, it's because I don't always make the smartest moves ?

ya its ok im only 17 i dont make the smartest moves either, i was out mudding in my truck today and its stuck there right now and wont be out till tomorrow ? i got it stuck 3 times today and this one is for good, and this thing is hard to get stuck, 6" lift and a 3" body lift, and i have 36" boggers on there, i can usually got hrough anything, but this mud pit was GNARLY ?

I was talking about the 1980's 4 wheeled dune buggy thing that flopped big time for Honda. A few other companies created spin off's and Hollister only allows all of those type vehicals to play around in AREA 5, unless you have a whip and a flag, then I guess you can take them other parts of Upper ranch according to the Map.