Sign in to follow this  

aluminum sprocket lasts all year?

I have been consistantly riding 2-3 times a week since march and racing once a month in our NM desert racing series. I replaced the crap stock chain that was on my yz in june but haven't done anything else to the sprockets...

I realized last night that the bike has an aluminum rear sprocket! I have heard so much stuff about them being crap and only lasting a few rides?! I will get a whole season out of this one.

if you ride in dry weather, they can hold up pretty well. i got about 3000 miles out of the stock sprocket on my 300, but it was pretty well toasted when i replaced it. it also makes a big difference riding with a good o-ring chain, since it doesn't wear as fast, and therefore doesn't chew through the sprockets as fast.

mw

Yeah, my bro has the same bike and i just put a new sprocket on his, he sees mud all the time in NJ and his sprocket was trashed, teeth missing and everything. He probably rides 2 times a month. We both have 04s.

Mud kills your drivetrain.

I have been using a regular primary drive chain. I also use 'gunk' brand industrial chain lube that you get at home depot. it is 2$ a can.

With the bike you have, it should go through a aluminum in 6 rides or so!

Sure its aluminum? :cry:

The type of bike has absolutely nothing to do with how long sprockets last.

Long life of sprockets depends on proper alignement, chain tension, and not running a chain that has grown in pitch past specs.

As a matter of fact, if you never run a chain that is more than 1-2% elongated, (and you keep the alignment and chain tension proper) your aluminum sprockets will last as long as any other sprocket will...almost indefinately.

I have been consistantly riding 2-3 times a week since march and racing once a month in our NM desert racing series. I replaced the crap stock chain that was on my yz in june but haven't done anything else to the sprockets...

I realized last night that the bike has an aluminum rear sprocket! I have heard so much stuff about them being crap and only lasting a few rides?! I will get a whole season out of this one.

You should always replace the sprockets when you replace the chain. If you do, you will get maximum life from both. A hooked sprocket will ruin a new chain fairly quickly.

I get about 1000 miles out of my aluminum sprocket on my big bore thumper, FE501e. For dirt / desert use, that is pretty good.