??'s on torque wrenches.

I'm looking to buy a torque wrench. It seems that I need to get one that starts at 5lbs. I was looking at one at sears for 69.99 but it's 10lbs - 80lbs. The one at 5lbs. - 80lbs. costs 89.99. Is there a cheaper one out there that still does a good job? Do your torque wrenches start at 5lbs.?

"cheap" and "good job" arent terms that go together when refering to torque wrenches (or any tool for that matter) the cheapest torque wrenches will be the beam type (like the ones linked above) and they are inaccurate as hell, especially after you use them a few times.

The cheapest torque wrench I would settle for is the low end "clicker" type... the cheapest you'll find them is 35-50 bucks for the no brand variety at chain parts stores (autozone, pep boys ect) Craftsman clickers are 80-100 bucks but will be more accurate and stay accurate longer than the cheapo's.

Good tools are an investment that'll pay off for the rest of your life (and beyond.. half of my tools were my grandpa's) cheap tools will cost you far more in the long run.

...the cheapest torque wrenches will be the beam type (like the ones linked above) and they are inaccurate as hell, especially after you use them a few times.

Perhaps, but using it, I've never had a problem. ? A new torque wrench is not in the near future for me. When I was looking, the options were $200.00+ for Snap-on clicker or $25.00 for Sears beam-type. I've used it for torquing heads, etc. and been fine.

Don't skimp on a torque wrench!! the "beam" style are not repeative accurate. and as far as harbor F wrench, they don't read the same from one to another.

the most acurate area on a wrench is in the middle of the adjustment range, so a wrench that goes from 5-150 ft lbs. is not as acurate @ 5 ft lbs as at 80 lbs.

I have 2 mac wrenches, one ft lbs that is 5lb to 80 (I think)and another inch pounds that is 20-200, that cover everything on the bike. everything in the 5-12 lb range I use the inch wrench

You can spend some money now on a wrench, or more later on repairing a stripped part. why not spend a little less on bling-bling and more on the things that keep the bike running. ?

Do torque wrenches loose their accuracy in time?(assuming that you take good care of it)

Yes, but they can be recalibrated.

If you are not using it everyday (making your living with it) and store it set to "0", you dont have to wory about it for many years. the better the wrench, the longer it will stay acurate, and you can go without checking it.

my ft. lb wrench is over 5 yrs old and I just had a friend that works at an airport check it for me, and it is still spot on. It is important to store it with the setting backed all the way out. dont leave it set to 25 lbs or whatever the last setting you were using was.

The craftsman will do just fine and last, you can also find some good deals on e-bay for some quality wrenches, and then just have them checked ?

Dennis

Do torque wrenches loose their accuracy in time?(assuming that you take good care of it)

Yes, but they can be recalibrated.

If you are not using it everyday (making your living with it) and store it set to "0", you dont have to wory about it for many years. the better the wrench, the longer it will stay acurate, and you can go without checking it.

my ft. lb wrench is over 5 yrs old and I just had a friend that works at an airport check it for me, and it is still spot on. It is important to store it with the setting backed all the way out. dont leave it set to 25 lbs or whatever the last setting you were using was.

The craftsman will do just fine and last, you can also find some good deals on e-bay for some quality wrenches, and then just have them checked ?

Dennis

Yep, good advice about setting it back to 0 everytime you're done with it, also DO NOT DROP IT or use it as a hammer or use an extension/swivel/adapter. All of these things will throw off the calibration or give you a false reading.

Even too much loctite or anti seize will throw it off. The proper torque method is clean threads with a drop of light oil on them.

wow... thanks for the tid-bit. I hadn't even thought about resetting it back to zero! I have a pretty decent Craftsman torque wrench. I'd like to keep it as accurate as possible. I need to remind myself to reset it to zero when I get home. ?

I would really like to know where people are pulling from that the Harbor Freight wrenches aren't accurate to +/-4% as advertised?

I work in a Cal Lab, have checked the cheap torque wrenches on our equipment and they are CRAP. They don't repeat, don't hold cal...basically, they're not worth the money paid for them. ?

I would really like to know where people are pulling from that the Harbor Freight wrenches aren't accurate to +/-4% as advertised?

I work in a Cal Lab, have checked the cheap torque wrenches on our equipment and they are CRAP. They don't repeat, don't hold cal...basically, they're not worth the money paid for them. ?

Rich, how well do the craftsman wrenches do? and what about the diff between snap on, mac, proto ect...?

at last someone "in the know"

Dennis