Sign in to follow this  

my dual sport died!

I was riding along the other day and was slowing down, I engaged the clutch and the engine died. I tried to start it again but nothing!

One of the things that I checked was the battery voltage and it was only 9 volts. I replaced the battery but it still won't start. I believe my bike has a "rectifier" that charges the battery and I'm guessing that it went bad and that is why my battery went dead. But wouldn't my bike start with a fresh battery even if the rectifier is dead?

I also checked the compression but couldn't do it properly since the bike is supposed to be warmed up when you check it. I could only get up to 90psi of cold compression. Does this equate to 130-150psi of warm compression? The reason I was checking the compression is that I was riding the bike pretty hard before it died and one possiblity is that I blew the head gasket.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

It's absolutely not the dualsport kit. Trust me, I know things. What kind of kit is it anyway?

the bike will start wih a dead battery,kieth the xr250l does not use a d/s kit its a factory d/s my fist bike was un xr250l i would start with checking the intake flange and hose, tighten the hose clips. make shure the float is not stuck in the close position open the drain screw at the bottom of the carb to see if there is gas i'm not shure if you have dual carbs, also check the compression release asembly ,look for spark out of the plug cable, hope this helps. PACO PAEZ

I checked to see if my spark plug was sparking and it was. Can I safely assume that the battery/stator/coil is all working properly?

I'm hoping that my carb is clogged or something simple as that and not electrical or compression problem. I tried to access my carb before but it looked very difficult. Taking off the airbox seemed totally epic. Any helpful hints?

Thanks!