Sign in to follow this  

El Cajon MX Sunday 10/24

Well, its time I checked out the track thats in my own backyard! I'll be heading to El Cajon MX around noon next Sunday, I've been told it just about empties after 1pm, which sounds like a good time to check out a new track to me! :cry: Flyin_blue may be in, also, so join us if you can! :cry:

hmmmmmm :cry:

Geez, that's far! I'll let you know on that. I might just stay home and ride again. Or Cahuilla Or....... :cry: :cry:

It's a cool track, but just so you know it's a real SX oriented track that can be pretty difficult depending on your ability. The obsticles themselves are not really any more difficult than what you find at Elsinore or Perris, it's just the way they have them set up and the tightness of the track leaves you with way less margin for error. On top of that, the track seems to be a few feet higher than the adjacent grade creating a drop off on the back side of berms and portions of the track. This gives you something else to think about in the event you need to quickly pull off the track or get squirley and overshoot something.

This of course is based on how the track was set up last year through the begining of this year. I kind of stopped riding it earlier this year because I always ended up being on the ground when I started to push myself. Maybe they have changed it since.

Best of luck :cry:

Yup, I'm aware of all of the above, which is why I thought I'd check it out on a Sunday, when its not so busy! :cry: I heard its been redesigned a little bit in the last couple of months, a friend of mine has started to do some of the big equipment work on it... although I don't know if thats a good thing or a bad thing! :cry:

Anyway, I'm getting tired of spending $30 in gas and driving an hour each time I want to go to a track (Cahuilla, Elsinor, etc.) :cry:

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's real nice having a track that close and save the drive. Too bad Carlsbad is getting paved over, that was just 15 min. from my place in Leucadia.

Anyway, post how the track is after you ride it on Sunday. I used to ride it a lot after work since they kept it lit on Tues & Thurs, but for whatever reason that track kept throwing me on the ground. I just worked through it until I got busted up real bad two seperate times there in the span of a month. After that, that track was just in my head and I stopped riding there. I would be interested in riding there again depending on how it's setup.

I agree on the track layout. Since the area is kinda small the track is mainly jumps and turns. I wish it was a little less agressive as it's only a couple miles from my house. I prefer Amago (Planet X). I'm heading up there on Sun. I hope it's not too wet.

Looks like I'll be hanging out in the desert all weekend instead... enjoy Amago, but I'll warn you now, last time I was there the track was in terrible shape... rocks everywhere, a big sand pit in the back... I was disappointed!

:cry:

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's real nice having a track that close and save the drive. Too bad Carlsbad is getting paved over, that was just 15 min. from my place in Leucadia.

Anyway, post how the track is after you ride it on Sunday. I used to ride it a lot after work since they kept it lit on Tues & Thurs, but for whatever reason that track kept throwing me on the ground. I just worked through it until I got busted up real bad two seperate times there in the span of a month. After that, that track was just in my head and I stopped riding there. I would be interested in riding there again depending on how it's setup.

I'll be riding out at El Cajon tomorrow and will let you know what it looks like. I enjoy tight and jumpy though but I'll try to give you an unbiased report. Better yet, come on out and join me in some good riding. :cry: I called there track report and they said they will be open all weekend. They have quad races tonight so it should be in pretty good condition.

hmmmmmm :cry:

Geez, that's far! I'll let you know on that. I might just stay home and ride again. Or Cahuilla Or....... :cry: :cry:

Your right, that is too far, when you're literally surrounded by sweet tracks. Oh, how I envy you! :cry:

I would love come out tomorrow, but my only chance to ride this weekend would be on Sunday. I haven't yet decided where I would go, it kind of depends on what I'm hearing about how the tracks are drying out and conditions.

I really like tighter sx style tracks too, Elsinore is one of my favs. I really don't know what it is about El Cajon though. I used to really like it, but since I've hurt myself there so much it's really in my head. I have to get over that and start off at that track fresh.

I'm looking forward to hearing your experience there tomorrow. I hope it's not too tore up with the rains and the quad races you said are happening tonight. I don't know why they have silly BS like that out there. I can only see quads blowing out the good lines and jacking up the ramps.

Okay, sorry it took me so long to get back but I'm 4 weeks out from getting married and things are getting really hectic. I'm constantly busy and am starting to have withdrawls from TT. :cry:

El Cajon was awesome on Saturday! :cry: :cry: I always forget how FUN that track is until I get there and can't stop riding. It's easy to psych yourself out when your not riding and think about how this track seems highly technical and a little more dangerous but have you ever noticed how that goes away as soon as you throw your leg over the bike and start roosting? :cry:

They had it prepped really well, and with the rain we received the week before, it was perfectly loamy all day. There were a couple of corners that were kind of muddy but it made for a lot of fun choosing different lines and trying to hold them through the mud.

The jumps are pretty much how they have always been there. There are some techinical ones but you can choose to roll them or go for it. I think they do a very good job of making this track safe. The landings are usually pretty long with rolled over tops in case you go a little long or short. It's expected to happen every once in a while.

There seems to be a lot of faster guys on Saturday and during the week. I was telling L2F that the time to go is on Sunday afternoon. The track is almost empty and you can go at whatever pace you desire.

I will not be able to make the desert this weekend so I'm going to try and head out to El Cajon on Sunday afternoon. If I talked you into it, you should come out too. :cry:

Sounds cool, I'm glad to hear you had such a good time. I decided to ride Amago last weekend and it was in pretty good shape as well. They recently graded a more outdoor mx style track they're calling the vet track. It's pretty long and they cut it into the area where they had the old mini track. They were having issues being able to water all of it but the rains made Cahuilla'esque that day.

Sunday sounds like it could be a good possibility. I have plans in the evening but the time change will limit the day anyway. What time were you planning on heading out there?

Sounds like it might be worth taking a trip out to Amago again. I'm going to try and get to El Cajon at about 1pm on Sunday. They usually take an hour break for lunch from 12-1 and water the track. A lot of people leave during this time and you have the rest of the afternoon to yourself. Let me know if you think your going to make it.

Dale

If you're getting there at 1p how long will the track be open for. Are they going keep their same hours (close @ 5p on Sun?) and keep the track lit because of the time change or are they going to close early now?

I would like to go but I would probably get there earlier in the day and catch you later when you get there.

Dan