Sign in to follow this  

Oil Consumption

My 04 R did use excessive oil from the day I bought it. Adjusted the valves on numerous occasions and finally got to the point they wouldn't shim anymore so did a valve job with new valve's and seals and decided to put a piston in it while it was apart. It virtually quit using oil after that but don't know whether is was the piston or valve seals or both.

Smole, did any of the valves have a lot of burnt oil deposits on the back side that might indicate seals?

your rings are probly shot. Most likely due to a improper break in.

Some people say break it in "hard". I followed the manual. What would you say was correct procedure?

The right way is the hard way. The ring's tension doesn't seal the cylinder. Its the gas pressure, forcing the ring out against the wall. If you break it in easy, the ring will wear down the honed pattern on the cylinder wall, and will not have a chance to seat properly. If you don't break it in right and you are having oil consumption issues, you will probably have to re-hone the cylinder and put in new rings. Here is more info on this topic: break in secrets

your rings are probly shot. Most likely due to a improper break in.

not true. every racer I know who rides his bike hard burns oil with this bike, the only people who aren't burning oil are the ones who baby their bike and tell you how hard they broke it in, don't be fooled, if your riding this bike the way it is meant to be ridden you will burn oil, just look at the manual, it says to check oil every ride, and every magazine will tell you the same thing since those testers ride the bikes pretty hard.

ill keep ya posted. I will have my CRFR running on sunday, I got all new top end with valves, seals, and cleaned head. I thought it would be hard but it was not at all. Just a few steps more than my 125 took.

I agree with Cory. I broke my 450 and 250 in hard just like Motoman says and they both burn oil. I ride my bikes hard and into the high RPMs on tracks. If I lug them around in the trees with my enduro buddies all day they dont burn any oil.

When I broke it in I just rode it. Nothing special. Have not had any oil consumption. Didnt ride fast or rev it out, just briskly. Since I havent had any problems yet I suppose I broke it in hard enough.

Add some Militec to your bike. You'll be amazed. In fact, put it in everything you own that has an engine/tranny, etc. Its amazing stuff. Expensive but if military, you get a substantial discount.