Sign in to follow this  

Is the Extended Warrranty on a 2005 CRF 230F Useful?

Well, I just bought a CRF 230F a week ago... got talked into the extended warranty at about $450 or so for an extra 42 months... so this bike is under warranty for 4 full years...

Now, I can cancel and get a refund on the extended warranty up to 30 days... I'm thinking more and more I might do this... it seems to me that I'd probably void the more important parts of the warranty when I install an aftermarket exhaust, powerup kit, front/rear springs... and even if something did break, how likely is it that the cost to repair will exceed the cost of the warranty? particularly considering that most of the work on these can be done at home or on the cheap.

What are your thoughts? I got the extended warranty on the CRF 230F as well as the 2004 Honda 300EX atv... total of about $1000 between the two I could get refunded if I decide to cancel... which could be used for other things, like a powerup kit and exhaust, springs, etc!

Rock

It's more likely you will drop the bike and bend something than an actual warrantable defect or failure. They won't cover the bent parts and as soon as you alter any part of the bike it will void coverage on anything even remotely associated with it. For the bike to be covered you will have to leave it almost 100% stock and have regular dealer maintenance.

Save that money for some goodies, break it in right, buy a manual, adjust your valves, run the best fluids you can afford, and hang around TT. You'll come out ahead and be a better cyclist for it.

😢

Can you elaborate on "break it in right" ? I haven't been able to find any "break-in" information in the owners manual... I know on the 300ex, they said 3 tanks of gas and then bring it back for it's service and then after that it's fine.

But for the 230f? I have ran it for about a half tank of gas... am going to change the oil/filter before I ride it again... what else should I do anytime soon and on what time frame?

Rock

I would not get the extended warranty if i was you. When I took my bike in for the first service I had to pay over 200.00 for a new oil filter o-ring or some thing and for them to adjust the valves. The extended warranty is pretty much asking if you would like to pay anouther 700.00 on top of the 5-6 grand you just paid for the bike(in my opinion).

Worth it or not is your call. But here are some things to consider before you choose.

Look hard at the items covered, consider the cost of fixing them, vs cost of the warranty vs how often the failure might present it self.

Additionally... You DO NOT have to have the bike serviced at a dealer.. That is a myth,, you do have to service it in accordance with the minimums of the manual though.

You do not void the warranty by modifying or replacing parts.. You will of course loose the warranty on any part replaced with a NON OEM part.. And if,,, the dealer can associate a failed part issue with a installed aftermarket part you may have a fight on your hands.like , installing a 3 tooth smaller sprocket, and later the chain snaps, tearing up the case.. He might be able to claim you installed a non OEM sprocket, that caused the chain failure.. BUT if a transmission bearing fails,,,, dealer is not going to get away with voiding your warranty based on the aftermarket bars, jetting, foot pegs you have installed.

All that said,, a warranty is only as good as the dealer servicing it.

Worth it or not is your call. But here are some things to consider before you choose.

Look hard at the items covered, consider the cost of fixing them, vs cost of the warranty vs how often the failure might present it self.

Additionally... You DO NOT have to have the bike serviced at a dealer.. That is a myth,, you do have to service it in accordance with the minimums of the manual though.

You do not void the warranty by modifying or replacing parts.. You will of course loose the warranty on any part replaced with a NON OEM part.. And if,,, the dealer can associate a failed part issue with a installed aftermarket part you may have a fight on your hands.like , installing a 3 tooth smaller sprocket, and later the chain snaps, tearing up the case.. He might be able to claim you installed a non OEM sprocket, that caused the chain failure.. BUT if a transmission bearing fails,,,, dealer is not going to get away with voiding your warranty based on the aftermarket bars, jetting, foot pegs you have installed.

All that said,, a warranty is only as good as the dealer servicing it.

If you don't have the dealer service your bike you will almost undoubtedly have a dispute as to whether the work was done properly or by qualified personnel. You would have to document everything meticulously.

While the handlebars don't effect the piston rings, if you install a Uni air filter and yank the snorkle and your bike starts smoking, they will say you altered the oem

intake and caused the problem. Aftermarket pipe? Forget any kind of claim about the top end. Running hot? You blocked the cooling air flow with an aftermarket skidplate. Blew the fork seals? Jumped too high. So sorry.

Almost every consumer organization in the country will say skip the extended warranty as a waste of money. Then again, if you are a dealer, extended warranties are the best thing going.

A-D-D-I-T-I-O-N-A-L-D-E-A-L-E-R-M-A-R-K-U-P

Have you ever bought an extended warranty on other things before and had it come through for you? It could be kind of a gamble but then, it IS a Honda. Are you seeing posts in here saying, "man, I spun a cam bearing on my new 230" and such? Having a dealer you can trust implicitly would help but good luck on that one...

😢

If you don't have the dealer service your bike you will almost undoubtedly have a dispute as to whether the work was done properly or by qualified personnel. You would have to document everything meticulously.

While the handlebars don't effect the piston rings, if you install a Uni air filter and yank the snorkle and your bike starts smoking, they will say you altered the oem

intake and caused the problem. Aftermarket pipe? Forget any kind of claim about the top end. Running hot? You blocked the cooling air flow with an aftermarket skidplate. Blew the fork seals? Jumped too high. So sorry.

Almost every consumer organization in the country will say skip the extended warranty as a waste of money. Then again, if you are a dealer, extended warranties are the best thing going.

A-D-D-I-T-I-O-N-A-L-D-E-A-L-E-R-M-A-R-K-U-P

Have you ever bought an extended warranty on other things before and had it come through for you? It could be kind of a gamble but then, it IS a Honda. Are you seeing posts in here saying, "man, I spun a cam bearing on my new 230" and such? Having a dealer you can trust implicitly would help but good luck on that one...

😢

As I said, the warranty is only as good as the servicing dealer.

There is no fight on service if you are at least as smart and a tick..

You record when you do the service, what products you used for the service, and keep the receipts.. Very simple. 😢

Have I benefited from an extended warranty ? Yes, but not on a bike, so maybe not applicably to this topic. Would I buy one for a bike?? no,, not me, but I do all my own work, minor, major and service. I have never had a motorcycle in a shop for repair....of any type. But that’s just me,, If I had no shop, no time, and no experience in wrenching,, I might choose to have work done in a shop, and to buy a extended warranty .. I doubt it,, but might.

😢

IMO, the warrenty is the biggest ripoff. These bikes are built solid, so you wont really have to take it in for something big. Plus they cover stuff that normally don't go bad on these bikes.

I'd say, save the money. My bike hasn;t had to go in, nor has it broken down on me. Just change the oil and the air filter and your 230 will stand solid for years to come, without the help of a warranty 😢

IMO, the warrenty is the biggest ripoff. These bikes are built solid, so you wont really have to take it in for something big. Plus they cover stuff that normally don't go bad on these bikes.

I'd say, save the money. My bike hasn;t had to go in, nor has it broken down on me. Just change the oil and the air filter and your 230 will stand solid for years to come, without the help of a warranty 😢

I think on this bike,, this is the right answer. 😢 If ya take the steps I suggested, and work through the assesment.. you'll see it is not cost effective.

Agreed!

It's just a money grab. This bike would probably outlast the extended warranty even if you did not service it properly. $450 is way too high for something that has little to no chance of being used.

As a general guide warranties are rip offs. There are cases where they are justified but Honda playbikes are not one of them.

offtopic: An example of one that is maybe worth doing: large plasma screen TV, most repairs are over $1000.

😢

We have a CRF150 and a friend has a CRF230. Our friend recently replaced 75% of his transmission, cost him over $450 in parts. I showed him how to do the work. We have had 2 separate collisions involving our valves and piston. The springs are faulty, the valve retainers are too soft of a metal, and the transmission is weak.

They are good bikes in general. But for $450, the warranty may be a good investment. 😢

Your decision, it's your money.

We have a CRF150 and a friend has a CRF230. Our friend recently replaced 75% of his transmission, cost him over $450 in parts. I showed him how to do the work. We have had 2 separate collisions involving our valves and piston. The springs are faulty, the valve retainers are too soft of a metal, and the transmission is weak.

They are good bikes in general. But for $450, the warranty may be a good investment. 😢

Your decision, it's your money.

Your the first person I've ever heard of having problems with the 230. And I know a lot of 230 riders.

Any engine can be destroyed in a number of ways. A collision, foot lands on the shifter instead of the footpeg from a jump, a trip off the side of a cliff, etc. etc.

Honda's are known first and formost for their reliability. When I raced for Honda, I used to witness some of their reliability testing. Engines would have to run at wide open throttle for days with out failure before the design could be put into production (ATC 200X). I was once involved directly with testing the roll cage integrity of the then Honda Odyssey. (remember those? little single seat dune buggy things? I called them Idiocy's) We loaded a brand new, unused one up in a pick-up truck with a bed mouted hoist,( I had wondered what the hoist was for...) got up to 70 MPH and pushed the thing out and watched it wad up. Not once, twice or three times, but 10 times !!! The test guys then pushed the wreck off of some really high cliff some where later to finish their tests. Honda does many more incredible tests that most people(me included) would think is over kill.

To me this is easy money in your dealers pocket. They already know that for the most part, your CRF-F is not gonna break. But consumers are skeptical these days. Thats why there are so many "extended" warranties available.I'm like the other guy, I'm skeptical about new electronic stuff and get the warranties on these items. Granted, you may have some freak thing happen on an outing and seriously damage the engine of your new bike, you can never say what MIGHT happen. I personally think its like Vegas. The extended warranties are like the house, the odds are in their favor with out a doubt......

Everyone's made some good arguments and heres mine for extended warrenty.. I bought an 02 ZG1000, awsome bike BTW, in 02 and put 45k on it in about 18 months. I brought it in the the shop for a regular tuneup and the cam shafts had to be replaced. Saved me mucho duckets..

welp, just went to the shop today, picked up oil and filters for the 230F and 300EX... and cancelled the extended warranties on both... so that's $1040 I'll be receiving from Honda in the next two weeks! That sounds like a good time to buy the powerup kit for each bike and some boots.

Rock