Sign in to follow this  

Top Dead Center

Usually what you can do is remove the spark plug and put your finger in the hole in the head. Next have someone lightly push down on the kickstart. You will fill the quench pressure try to push your finger out of the hole when this happends, it means your piston is rising to the top of its stroke. It may not be TDC, but its close. I suggest forking out a few bucks also for a service manual

Shoot, I can't remember if there is a plug on the left (riders left) of the motor that is a window to see the TDC marks? If you look on the left side of the motor/crankcase, there might be a large black plastic plug with a large straight slot on it. You can take a really large screwdriver or something you've fashioned specifically for these (as I did) and unscrew it. We'll call that hole the 'window'. Then, pull the spark plug. Then pull the spark plug wire and make sure it won't make any spark or arc anywhere near the plug hole.

Using the kickstart to slowly turn the motor (or maybe you could put it in 1st and use the rear wheel if the bike if off the ground) turn the motor (Again, make sure that the mixture that may blow out of the sparkplug hole won't be ignited by the plug wire) and watch for the TDC markings in the left side window to spin by. I believe that there is an "F" and a line or two that point out TDC on the generator rotor assembly. The TDC mark needs to be in the middle of the window.

For adjusting valves, remember that the correct TDC has to be determined. It's every second TDC, I forget which stroke it's on though.

Hope this helps, I'm just spitting stuff out cause I'm at work. Consult a manual. Have fun.

Okay, just looked at the motor. The plugs that you unscrew on the riders left of the crankcase (generator side) are silver. They're softish metal, so watch out for stripping out the slot. Pull both plugs, the big one in center and the smaller one up higher. They each have an O-ring.

As per manual:

You can turn the crankshaft with a ratchet, counterclockwise.

Align the TDC mark on the rotor (as seen through the smaller window/hole) with the align mark on the crankcase cover when piston is at TDC on the compression stroke.

NOTE: the Crankshaft end accessing screw (the big silver window screw) is torqued at a very light 5.1 foot pounds. So is the timing mark accessing screw. Trust me, do not overtighten these. Getting them off after overtightening is a PIA.