Sign in to follow this  

450EXC vs CRF450X

Okay, I realize that this is way premature, seeing as the 450X doesn't even officially exist yet, but the bike has been designed and the spec's are there.

Question is - what can we expect the differences to be in these bikes. I'd like some informed opinion on the bikes themselves based on features/spec's and where the two are coming from - not just "KTM rules" or "Honda sucks" rants (though those are always fun).

Any ideas? I plan for one of theose bikes to be in my garage come next summer. e.g. - will Honda have fixed the valve issues they seem to have on the 250X?

The main thing that would hold me back from the Honda CRF450X, at least according to the spec sheet, are the relatively close ratios in the 5 speed tranny compared to the wide ratio 6 speed tranny in the 450 and 525 EXCs. Plus with the KTM you have the option of either the 450 or the 525.

have you looked at the CRF-450X gallery pics on the Honda web site. The bike looks like a natural off road trail machine. :cry:

But I've come to the non-experienced conclusion that the CRFX is no more then the CRF MX bike with lights. The KTM EXC bikes have some proven enduro/off road history.

I guess what I'm saying is the 250X has scared me away...from the 450X. But take that with a large TTer I know nothing pound of salt.

Not a lot is known, but here's where to start:

1. 450X is 255 dry, 450EXC is 249 wet (no gas).

2. 450X is a first year model, higher chance of problems.

3. 450EXC is a proven design and has a long track record.

4. You can buy a 450EXC today. (I'd wait til 2006 on the X)

5. You can get more power from the KTM by getting a 525, or less by getting a 400.

6. 450X has a cooler looking frame, but its more rigid and will tire you more quickly.

7. Lots of goodies out for 450EXC, notthing much for 450X, but it will probably come quickly.

I'd get the 525EXC or even a 525MXC depending on weather you want a close ratio or wide ratio 6 speed trans.

Cheers,

I thought the only difference between the 525 exc and 525 MXc was the gas tank...... but the weak brochure dont say that and the KTM site doesn't seem to say it in detail enough for me to see.

The EXC has a wide ratio tranny, the MXC has the close ratio tranny. My buddy has a 520 MXC that he put lights on. It's a total beast and you have to shift too much. I'd choose the EXC for off road.

Besides the aforementioned items. Honda really needs to increase the oil capacity in the motor side. My CRF could blow out a scary amount of oil on a long days hard riding.

MHO...I don't own either one of these bikes, but I sure am looking at them hard. At 41 I do some enduros and such and right now I am riding the 02 426. But this thing IS top heavy! Just sitting on the crf450 ( not the x)gives me a better, lighter ergonomic feel. With some mods this would be a great woods weapon. I know it wont tire me out the way this WR is.

The 450 Exc seems to have a bit of overall better enginering as well as a "magic button" and all the toys you can put on it as well as a carb I am pretty familier with.

Those are my opinions...You can see I haven't made a decision yet.

Racemile

OHVrider-

Is your 525 arm stretching/tiring as a CR500?? Curious

i've only ridden a 525 briefly. i thought it was a real pussycat of a bike. much less abrupt power than my 250sx. more comparable to a 300exc only heavier and with more low-end. i could ride one all day and all night. very easy bike to ride.

mw

I don't have a CR500, but rode my buddies KX500 many times. Actually the 525 is easier to ride than a KTM 300, and my KX250. My KX250 has VForce reeds, and a gnarly pipe with lower gearing. I'm thinking of going with a fatty to smooth it out or putting taller gearing on it.

My 525 dyno'd at 46hp. Its got TONS of torque, and both are VERY smooth. My 450F is 48 HP and is VERY tiring. The 525 is the best motor I've owned. I even thought of sellign my other 2 bikes and getting a 525MXC or 525 SX as a 2nd bike. Its that good.

I hate the MXC tank though. I'd get a IMS or clarke for both bikes.

Also the 525 vibrate much less than my YZ450F which doesn't vibrate much. Basically I don't find it very tiring at all.

Two observations,

Two of the guys I ride with have CRF250Xs.Both burn enough oil that it's a concern on a long ride. They both burned oil from new. Don't know if this means anything with regards to a 450 but...?

Second is about EXC/MXC gearbox ratios. My bike is EXC except for the gearbox. It's a 400 with a 520 piston (453). I love the close ratio box on steep climbs. If you need to downshift,low is so cose to second that it dosent upset the bike like a big jump would. Of course desert riding would be a different deal. My bike will still go over 80 and that's plenty fast enough for me.