Sign in to follow this  

Cylinder to piston fit

Got my cylinder back from MT and when bronco went to try the piston in the cylinder he found a slight problem. It seemed like the cylinder had to be bored out too big but we weren't sure. I called MT yesterday and while talking to Kurt on the phone he wanted me to measure the clearance. I went out to the garage and when I went to put the piston in the cylinder it clicked against the side of the wall. Kurt's first response was, "that doesn't sound good" :cry: :cry:. I told him I only had flat feeler gauges and he said that would be fine because they would wrap themselves around the curve. I'm thinking "not a chance". I was right I could fit a .032" gauge in but it wouldn't bend at all :cry:. So now my cylinder will be picked up today and overnighted back to MT so they can figure out what went wrong and how to fix it. Meanwhile I still have a race the weekend after this one coming up and no working bike :cry:.

I can't believe that no one there ever sticks the piston in the cylinder to test it's fit before it is shipped out, maybe whoever bores it out should either do that or at least measures them out. Kurt is thinking that it was bored for a 94.5mm piston but there is no record of a liner being installed. The only way to salvage this cylinder is to install a liner and replate I would think.

I told them I had to have it back friday in order to get ready for the race the next weekend. That is one of the things they will need to do to make it right. They will get it tomorrow morning and would have to have it done thursday afternoon to do it. Not sure they can/will.

To me this in an inexuseable mistake, one that never should be made in the first place but like Kurt said, "we are human and make mistakes". That is fine for the overbore problem but no one bothers to check the clearances before they ship them out??? :cry: They are sold as a kit so they should work together, MT provided all the parts.

it is inexcuseable,but it happens.thats what happens when to many people are involved in the process.

if they fail to make it right,then its bad.

I agree that is why I'm waiting and wondering what they are going to do to make it right.

Would I be able to see the sleave with my naked eye if they installed one?

They have but three choices.

Well four if that want to hose you....

1: Bore it out, sleeve it, finial finish for the piston you own.

2: Bore it out, sleeve it, finial finish for the 94.5 piston

3: Replace your overbored cyl with another that has been correctly sized for the piston you own.