Sign in to follow this  

Decomp plug set screw overtightened. Tapped hole is stripped.

Any suggestions? The owner cranked on the set screw and completely ripped all the threads out of the head.

Options:

1) Remove head, drill and tap for helicoil....

2) Install decomp plug sans set screw using RVT to hold it in place??? (half ass but would it work for the time being????)

I need to find a solution so I can get this bike outa my shop. Anyone have an idea? I really dont feel like pulling the head :cry:

BTW its an 04 YZ250F

considering where it's at you should be able to retap it on the bike.

There's plenty of room to get to it, and all you have to do is goop the area behind the hole with bearing grease to capture the metal from drilling and tapping it. All you have to do is wipe it all out when you're done.

I was just afraid of shavings getting in the motor. I guess its worth a shot, if it gets messy Ill pull it apart. :cry:

The greas will keep the shavings from flying all over inside when you punch through. Just put the cam cover back on so the filings on the outside dont fly in.

Been there and done that!!Did it exactly as YZF rider says with no problems.

I did the same thing, but instead I stuffed all kinds of rags around the cams and some grease in the are where I tapped the new hole. The mech at my local shop had over tightned it also and stipped it. Theh helicoiled it and that didn't work so I did the fix myself and bought a metric tap set from Sears for 30 or so bucks. I needed it anyway. It is actually better than before.

Is that the screw that holds the decomp. shaft in the head, cause I just stripped it myself. Does the decomp. shaft go all the way into the head, cause when I push it all the way in and begin to tighten the bolt down it gets pushed out slightly. Thanks