Sign in to follow this  

$250 Labor for fork seals?

I called Honda of Milpitas (San Jose,CA) and asked how much to replace my fork seals for my CRF450R (parts and labor). They quoted me $200-$220. The price is if I bring the forks in and not the whole bike.

I'm like kiss my azz. :cry:

Oh my god! I called another dealer and they wanted $250 just for labor if you bring in the forks. They said parts will be $75.

yikes.. :cry:

Can anyone of you do this job for me at a cheaper price (if you live near my area)?

Just replace them yourself. It's not that difficult. Use the money you'll save to buy a seal driver. You should be replacing your fork fluid a couple times a year anyway, so dive in and do it. Took me 2 hours to replace the fluid and seals on my first try (just one fork). But after doing it once, I did the second fork in about 20 minutes. Should be even quicker next time.

Here in San Diego the shop where my buddy works does em for i think 60 bucks a tube, maybe even less. I would call around and also just calll race teck or some one else who specializes in suspension to get them really dialed in.

Do it yourself though if ya got the know-how and the tools!

same around here price is about 100-120 for both if you bring just the forks in. BUT the same thing I tell a lot of people on here is make sure you need seals... some times they just need to be cleaned check this

I was going to replace my seals and springs myself and stopped by a local bike shop for a manual. The local shop quoted me $50 for both forks (labor only, I had the parts). For that price, I'll gladly let them do it. :cry: The local dealer wanted $90 for the same job.

Well, Factory Connection charges $170 to do a revalve service. They don't even charge extra if you need new seals (just the parts). Heck, I might as well send my works out to do a complete revalve for my riding style and get the seals replaced too.

$170 Revalve

$15 fluids

$40 total shipping (to and from)

==========================

$225 for a nice forks (plus free FC stickers)

add $100 for springs (if needed)

add $35 for FC pressure springs

I think I'm going to go this route. Might was well do it all the way. :cry:

are you getting a revalve and a B.J. with that i did mine for 25.00 with oil parts were 15.00.

For that kind of money, you can send your forks out for a custom revalve, and get your seals changed for free!

I noticed your locations in your profile as being San Jose/Sacramento. I work for a local shop (2nd job/ hobby) in Loomis called MC Concepts. I do the suspension work there.

We charge $70.00/hr labor,and probably $35.00 for the seals. It's an hour per leg, so you're looking at $175.00

I'd prefer the forks off the bike, but if you bring the whole thing, it takes about 1/2 hour to remove them, and another 1/2 hour to re-install, so that would increase the amount by another $70.00

Let me know if you're interested. You can PM me if you'd like.

holy crap i dont know where you guys get all of your parts from, but if you want, i live in the bay area and i can do em if you havent got them done yet, just buy the parts and all do them for you, and it would help if you had a seal driver. i live in antioch, not to far away from where you live

It's an hour per leg, so you're looking at $175.00

I'd prefer the forks off the bike, but if you bring the whole thing, it takes about 1/2 hour to remove them, and another 1/2 hour to re-install

why does it take so long to take off and put on the forks, it takes like 10 min for both of em, and also what takes so long to do the seals, an hour whats up with that, i think i should get into the fork seal business :cry:

It's an hour per leg, so you're looking at $175.00

I'd prefer the forks off the bike, but if you bring the whole thing, it takes about 1/2 hour to remove them, and another 1/2 hour to re-install

why does it take so long to take off and put on the forks, it takes like 10 min for both of em, and also what takes so long to do the seals, an hour whats up with that, i think i should get into the fork seal business :cry:

I think you do not have a good idea of what it takes to disassemble a fork tube, properly clean it, inspect it for wear or damage, install new seals using the correct seal driver, reassemble the fork , set oil to the customer requested level, finish up, clean the fork, and be ready to hand it to a customer,, fully backing your work as complete, correct, and as advertised.

Yes,, the average guy can pound some seals in with a hammer and an old beer can, pour in the left over oil from the lawnmower drain pan,,and call it good. :cry:

But most of us would prefer to do it the right way,, or pay someone to do it as we would.

I have done my own suspension work, and will again.. But am not concerned with paying a tuner a fair price to go through my forks if that is what I choose to do.

If your doing your own work in the garage,, Great...

:cry:

But forget the silly flaming to a guy who has to charge a fair rate to do it for you.

Nice thing about so cal....with so much competition around for dealers and service, its tought to stay in business when you SUCK and gouge people so its easy to find decent prices and help...however there are also enough goons around that dont know any better and will pay whatever you through in front of them :cry:

actually i do it right, i use the right level and measure out how much oil to put it in, i use fork seal drivers not beer cans, i worked in a few dirt bike shops, i was the guy who did all that stuff and it doesnt take me that long, ive done all my fork seals and have not had any problems, neither has any of my buddies that i do them for

i got both of mine done for $55. Guess people around here arent expensive :cry: im in connecticut. i didnt have the seal driver, or the knowledge of forks to do them, so i had em done.

so $200 to 220 is too much to pay?maybe you should try it yourself?mechanics spend tons of money on tools & training,any idiot with an air gun can change fork seals-but wouldnt you feel better if it was done buy a pro-200 to 220 including parts doesnt sound bad-but maybe you need the extra cash for some new part that wont make you any faster!!

i got both of mine done for $55. Guess people around here arent expensive :cry: im in connecticut. i didnt have the seal driver, or the knowledge of forks to do them, so i had em done.

You guys must be talking about just having a new seal driven in at those prices.... No fluid change, no other checks done.no service at all on the forks.. just, pop out the old sel, pop in the new.. ..Seals at my cost are $30 or more depending on the fork...... at your $55 rate.....somebody is giving away the shop.. :cry: