$250 Labor for fork seals?

$30 seal driver. I'll review it when I get it sometimes this week.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ed=1098656845000&item=2494734192

Hey no doubt,, if ya have the tools, the time and the ability.. doing your own work is the way to go,, more for getting it done on your own time line, and piece of mind, more then the savings of money.. but that aint bad either ?

It's an hour per leg, so you're looking at $175.00

I'd prefer the forks off the bike, but if you bring the whole thing, it takes about 1/2 hour to remove them, and another 1/2 hour to re-install

why does it take so long to take off and put on the forks, it takes like 10 min for both of em,

Same Question here ? :cry:

I think we may have some Mechs on board here getting a lttle ticked about people who feel like they shouldn't be freekin ripped off every time they take their bike into a shop for a little work. Well I have a question for you Mechs. Do you guys have a book that you all use that tells you how much time each specific job is supposed to take? (of course this specified amount of time what made up by taking the minutes it would take a complete idiot to do the job with no tools and mulplying it by 3) Do you charge each job my how much actual time it takes you to complete the job, or by how long this book says your supposedly allowed to charge? And who determined that your supposed to make as much per hour as a @#$%$ brain surgeon anyway? This is why I spend so much time on this forum, so I can learn as much as I can and get to know my bike inside out. And when my bike needs some work I can do it myself, and then I KNOW it was done right, and not have to sign my bank account over to some self rightous overcharging mechanic.

My advice to anyone is to spend some time with your manual, get the right tools, and do it yourself. To hell with the Aholes!!!

I hooked up with a mechanic through my cousin. This guy used to work at a bike shop before it closed up. He's got a different career now, and does side jobs for a bunch of local riders and racers.

This is his deal $50 for the first hour and $25 per hour after. He does not supply the parts. Compared to the local shops this is a huge bargain, and he's only a phone call away. The nice thing is he encourages you to be there while he does the work. Excellent learning experience if you ask me. I just had my fork seals done and he charged $75 for labour. Not bad considering he took longer than 2 hours he figured it would take, and he trued my front wheel and I replaced the wheel bearings while the wheel was off.

I guess unless you are into the racing scene guys like this may be hard to come by. I don't race, just trail ride. I work 6 days per week and sometimes just don't have the time or energy at the end of the day to do my own work. I know I am lucky to have a (licenced) contact like this.

Shop around, I'm sure there is a reasonable soloution/alternative for you.

Just my $0.02,

Cheers,

mike ?

I think we may have some Mechs on board here getting a lttle ticked about people who feel like they shouldn't be freekin ripped off every time they take their bike into a shop for a little work. Well I have a question for you Mechs. Do you guys have a book that you all use that tells you how much time each specific job is supposed to take? (of course this specified amount of time what made up by taking the minutes it would take a complete idiot to do the job with no tools and mulplying it by 3) Do you charge each job my how much actual time it takes you to complete the job, or by how long this book says your supposedly allowed to charge? And who determined that your supposed to make as much per hour as a @#$%$ brain surgeon anyway? This is why I spend so much time on this forum, so I can learn as much as I can and get to know my bike inside out. And when my bike needs some work I can do it myself, and then I KNOW it was done right, and not have to sign my bank account over to some self rightous overcharging mechanic.

My advice to anyone is to spend some time with your manual, get the right tools, and do it yourself. To hell with the Aholes!!!

I have worked in a bike shop before for about 5 years. In the shops that I worked at when it comes to the flat rate book usually the mechanic only makes money on how many hours the book says. If it takes longer he looses money. If does it quicker than the book time he makes money. In another shop though the mechanics worked strickly off hourly pay.

Don't forget that just because a shop charges 60 bucks per hour to work on your bike doesn't mean the mechanic makes 60 bucks per hour, probably less than 25% of that.

Also I had my Envoy worked on yesterday (warranty work) and the chevy dealer I took it to charges $120 per hour. Things could be worse.