Sign in to follow this  

what do I need to bring with me on an enduro?

I'm doing my first enduro this weekend and I was wondering what I need to bring with me. I've got tools to change a flat, air pump, small screwdriver with 4 bits, zip ties, tube, duct tape, 8-10-12mm socket, cresent wrench, and some allen wrenches. Is there anything else I might need to bring?

bring everything you would bring for a trailride, plus some food and water. if something goes wrong that you can't fix with the tools you have, you're toast anyway.

be prepared for weather. it's nice to have a little more clothing than you need.

mw

You probably want to carry a camelback. If it is a timekeeping enduro bring a watch, a rollchart holder, and make sure that you have a working odometer (unless you have an enduro computer already). If they don't supply numbers, you might want to pick some up from a hardware store or motorcycle shop. I always bring a piece of cardboard to put under my scorecard so it is easier for the check crews to write on. It will be a learning experience, don't worry about your result so much. Just think of it as a fast trail ride and learn the details as you go.

I've got a camelbak and I figured I would bring a couple of power bars. I've got a trailtech computer for an odometer and clock. Do you tape the cardboard to your fender or number plate? What do you need the numbers for?

They will give you a scorecard that goes on your front fender so that when you come to a check they can write your score down. It is usually lined and numbered carbon copy paper in a plastic case, and if you put something like cardboard that is cut to about the same size as the scorecard underneath, it is easier to write on. It's not a big deal at all, I wouldn't even worry about it. The numbers go on your front number plate just like the MX guys so that when you pull into a check the people with the backup sheets know who you are. Your number will probably be something like 30 B, meaning you start on the 30th row. Each row will probably have four riders, A, B, C, and D. The letter on your number means nothing, it is just to differentiate between the four riders on your row. If keytime is 8:00, which it should say on your entry form, the riders 1A, 1B, 1C, and 1D will start at 8:01. It will make sense when you see people lining up before keytime.

You may need a gas can (with numbers) to be put at the gas check point.

I used electrical tape to make numbers and letters on my bike and gas can.

I put a roll chart holder on the bars and taped a wrist watch to the crossbar pad. With the ODO on my XR400, I was set for time keeping. The best is to buddy up with someone with an enduro computer and follow them.

Do you know the enduro rules?

Good advise I was given:

Go fast in the slow sections (woodsy single track, near impossible to go the pace speed)

Go slow in the fast sections (fireroads where going fast is easy and it's easy to show up early.)

Expect to be riding hard for about 4-5 hours.

Don't wait until you're thirsty to drink. Drink every chance you get.

Don't eat a large sandwich at the gas stop(s) Eat 1/2 a power/clif bar at every chance you get.

When a faster rider catches you, move over as soon as it's safe for you. Then follow that rider as long as you can to see what he's doing different.

Be prepared to hurt like h3ll Monday morning and spend the remainder of your time and money planning your next trip. They're addictive.

Merf

If you are pooped out, don't stop, just ride slower until you catch your breath because if you don't then you will struggle to get going again. If the first half is easy, the club will toast you in the second half. Good luck, it will be a learning experience.