Sign in to follow this  

cowbell ISDE this weekend, Camp 18 - Hamilton WA

Should be a messy race this coming weekend with all the raind and stuff along with Lyle setting the course. If anyone rode the Mt. Bake ISDE early this summer, you will know what I am talking about. That race had lots of logging roads in it as well and it kicked my butt! However, I am looking forward to it if they are running the course similar to Filthy Pup as that race was a hoot!

Putting fresh tires on Friday and may head up late Sat. afternoon and sleep in the ol'tahoe. Nothing a 0 degree bag can't handle. Just getting out the next morning kinda bites...

Anyone else going up?

mx813

I have to play it by ear due to some other obligations. Hoping to be there though.

Haven't got to ride one of lyle's courses yet, I hear they put hair on your chest :cry:

btw, both the november and october issues of "dirt bike" magazine make mention of a course lyle put together. in the "my toughest race" article of the october issue Mike Lafferty, Steve Hatch, Randy Hawkins and Ty Davis recall a 1997 National Enduro held in Bellingham (assuming camp 18 or lake shannon) that was one of their toughest races.

Ty Davis has the following quote

some lunatic on a YZ490 was the promoter; it rained, it was freezing, and it was nasty"

Steve Hatch and Randy Hawkins give a detailed description of some of the nasty sections, basically theye tell of the top riders of the nation all being stuck and not making it up some of the hill climbs.

Here is a quote from Randy

Some crazy guy put on a qualifier in Washington and it had a hill that went straight up with a trail that a deer couldn't climb

Any guess which event they are referring to? the Jackhammer ISDE? Cowbell?

Any guess which event they are referring to? the Jackhammer ISDE? Cowbell?

Trav

They are talking about the ISDE that Lyle put on. It was held in the North Fork area which after a day of rain is like riding on snot, it rained hard for a couple days leading up to the race.

Lyle will find the toughest way he can on a sunny day when he's making the loops, and hope for rain before the race :cry:

Haven't got to ride one of lyle's courses yet, I hear they put hair on your chest :cry:

You got that right. At the Mt. Baker ISDE, the first special test went through a mud pit about 50 fit long and equally as wide with no alternative. At one point, the entire RMC Off road race team was stuck there. Things got better in Lyle's term. After restarting the hour at 1pm,(it took me 1 hour to do 8 miles) you started the second loop and it went forever and ever. Then the second special test that started on top of the mountain, literally. Off you go and down the switch backs, which were giant bolder strewn, loose rocks, etc...

By the time my 3rd special test came, my buckles were undone on the boots, googles toast, no H2O left, and I really didn't care anymore. And this was in the summer. It took me approx. 4 hours to go 30 miles and man, I was wasted.

This weekend should be interesting. But one question I have is the format? Is it Enduro style or is it ISDE style? The flyer states enduro, but everyone keeps talking about it being ISDE. No matter, I will be registering promptly at 7am to get an early start minute.

mx813

Most events do top 30% trophies... Lyle just isn't smiling unless he gets a 30% DNF rate. Fun courses. :cry:

Wow, sounds like fun. To bad I have some important needle point to do that day. :cry:

Wow, sounds like fun. To bad I have some important needle point to do that day. :cry:

You can still come to the White Knuckle... a bit closer for you and equally as fun!

mx813

The cowbell is being held at camp 18 which is excellent riding, the course layout should be good as well. :cry:

mx813,

The Cowbell enduro will be run as an ISDE. :cry:

Thanks Grey...Now I just need to wait for the race...

mx813