Sign in to follow this  

Rode Georgetown yesterday, then got kicked out

Got to Georgetown about 9am. We even passed a ranger on the way up. We get there, unload and put in over 40 miles before lunch. We head back for gas, my buddy Scott has new 450 EXC, small tank, you get the idea. When we arrive I notice a letter hanging out of my ice chest. Ranger Dick has said "due to the amount of rain Rock Creek is closed to OHVers, equest, and hikers." There will be a 48 hour drying out period. All that dust finally gone and they don't want us to ride until it comes back :cry: What up with that? They sure are picky at GT.

We had the entire place to ourselves. The ground was slick with the needles but it was fun. Puddles were a lot deeper then they appeared. The deep water crossing wasn't too bad yet. It was funny looking at the abandoned car off the cliff down there hanging by 2 trees. How did they get down there I have no idea. :cry: Being the responsible riders we are (cough) we decided we should obey the man and leave instead of heading back out and pretending we never saw the letter. Who knows if they were hiding in the trees just waiting for us to make a headline.

Hope you all got out to ride too :cry:

Fryoby

First of all I heard from a good sorce that it was only 12 maybe 13 miles - not 40?? :cry: :cry:

It's law breakers like you Hells Angels that give US "good guys" a bad name!! :cry:

Just kiddin with ya Fryboy - gotta love GT.!!

DP400 :cry:

Being the responsible riders we are (cough) we decided we should obey the man .....

"But Mr Ranger, we're here to help with trail maintenace today. We were just out looking for the rest of the work crew." :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

..so you were down at the deep water crossing and saw the car did ya come down the road from darling ridge to get there? meaning and asking did ya then do that power climb up out of there on the car side of the creek?. That ride out is sweet 3rd gear flyway staight up for like a mile with 4 or 5 turns along the way. gotta love that. :cry:

..so you were down at the deep water crossing and saw the car did ya come down the road from darling ridge to get there? meaning and asking did ya then do that power climb up out of there on the car side of the creek?. That ride out is sweet 3rd gear flyway staight up for like a mile with 4 or 5 turns along the way. gotta love that. :cry:

Yup Bob, we came do the darling ridge side, crossed creek, then went right up it. Went to 6-1 and almost to 5 before gas situation talked us into a pit stop. The climb out is nice. All the trails at GT are nice. We came to this nasty uphill all rocky and rutty I think it was part of 1 ??? What a view from the top. We were looking for some lookout tower :cry: Never did find it

Fryboy

Fryboy, did you not notice the signs saying the place is closed? Did you not notice the big sign at the ranger station with the posting listed as closed? If not, where did you stage?

Your negligence is going to get the place shut down for all of us. All I can do is ask that you please take notice of the closure and obey it or none of us will be able to ride there.

I completely understand the closures are tough to deal with, for I'd bet an '05 YZ that no one else on this board logs more miles at GT than I. I too get frustrated with the closures but I understand why the rules are in place.

If you rode the '00 Fools Gold Enduro you too would have seen the damage that happened to the place when ridden while it was too wet. After that event many of the trails got red-tagged and shut down. And if we ride it in the rain then many of the trails are going to get red-tagged again.

So please Fryboy, and anyone else considering riding up there during a closure, consider the impact your actions will have on all of us being able to enjoy the great place.

Believe me there were no signs on Monday. NONE. GT rangers were slacking s all. My neighbor dropped by to see if it was open Monday AM and said there were no closure signs. He came home got his bike and a buddy and went back around 2PM to see closure signs. He was bumed but Fryboy did nothing wrong bro. Fryboy lives 75 miles away and isnt framiliar with the rain rules. GT ranger station was just slow to respond and there werent signs up.

Its all good man he's a responsible rider and a member of the BRC, and far from a problem to our sport believe me. Have a drink and chill bud :cry:

Fryboy, did you not notice the signs saying the place is closed? Did you not notice the big sign at the ranger station with the posting listed as closed? If not, where did you stage?

Your negligence is going to get the place shut down for all of us. All I can do is ask that you please take notice of the closure and obey it or none of us will be able to ride there.

I completely understand the closures are tough to deal with, for I'd bet an '05 YZ that no one else on this board logs more miles at GT than I. I too get frustrated with the closures but I understand why the rules are in place.

If you rode the '00 Fools Gold Enduro you too would have seen the damage that happened to the place when ridden while it was too wet. After that event many of the trails got red-tagged and shut down. And if we ride it in the rain then many of the trails are going to get red-tagged again.

So please Fryboy, and anyone else considering riding up there during a closure, consider the impact your actions will have on all of us being able to enjoy the great place.

YZWiley,

Upon our arrival there were no signs that said the place was closed. All the gates were open. We even passed a ranger that waved at us on our way up the hill. Not once did I think the place was closed. If I knew it was closed I would have left right then and there. We drove by the Ranger station and no sign was visible. Come on man, didn't you read the part about "responsible riders?" :cry: Don't you think it is very possible the ranger dropped the ball on this one? They should have closed the gates much earlier then 10am.

We staged out of Mace Mill. The gates were opened - until we left then they were closed. Not chained up but closed. Upon leaving we saw the entrance now had a Closed sign up.

Trust me when I say this, I do not want to give the greenies any more ammunition then they already have.

I am a BRC member and know the fight we are up against.

Fryboy

Right on Fryboy.Bummer your ride got cut short.I just rebuild my top end on my CRF 450 and Im ready to ride name the time and place.New ss valves,weisco piston and a Hot cam.And yes it sounds sweet. :cry: :cry:

Right on Fryboy.Bummer your ride got cut short.I just rebuild my top end on my CRF 450 and Im ready to ride name the time and place.New ss valves,weisco piston and a Hot cam.And yes it sounds sweet. :cry: :cry:

Hey Greg,

I didn't even know you had a CRF. You dog you !!!! Hey man, I had a great time at the Reno 200 with you and your wife. She is a very nice and funny lady :cry: You are a lucky man. What days you have off? I ride Sun-Mon. We can hook up soon

Dave

Hey Greg,

I didn't even know you had a CRF. You dog you !!!! Hey man, I had a great time at the Reno 200 with you and your wife. She is a very nice and funny lady :cry: You are a lucky man. What days you have off? I ride Sun-Mon. We can hook up soon

Dave

Sunday sounds good.I have a normal schedual at work but would be willing to take a day off in the future. Um 3 day ride at stonnyford or moonrocks? :cry: And my wife thanks you for your kindness.

Sunday sounds good.I have a normal schedual at work but would be willing to take a day off in the future. Um 3 day ride at stonnyford or moonrocks? :cry: And my wife thanks you for your kindness.

I am always down for stony. A 3 dayer? Ohhh it could get cold out there :cry: It hasn't stopped me before. Tell wifey :cry: for me. Hope she will play the slots for me next year :cry:

Fryboy

Sunday at Clear Creek :cry: :cry:

Never been to clear creak but it sounds like an option.I understand its about 3 hours from the eastbay area is that correct? :cry:

Never been to clear creak but it sounds like an option.I understand its about 3 hours from the eastbay area is that correct? :cry:

Clear Creek is one hour further than Hollister. Not sure if that helps you any. It takes me 3 - 3 1/2 hours to get there from Vacaville.

Dave

Clear Creek is one hour further than Hollister. Not sure if that helps you any. It takes me 3 - 3 1/2 hours to get there from Vacaville.

Dave

Really. It only takes me 2.5 hours from Sacto. What way do you go?

Dave

Really. It only takes me 2.5 hours from Sacto. What way do you go?

80 to 680 to 101 to 25 to Hollister, then beyond. If you take I-5 (much closer for you) but you go in a different way than I do I think.

Fryboy