Sign in to follow this  

04' clamps on an 05'crf

I see that Applied has a new clamp for the 2005 crf450. Does this mean my clamp from my 04 will not work on the 05.

If not what is the difference?

It could be something as minor as the numberplate mount. I know it's different from the 03 to the 04.

You are correct. The 04 will not work on the 05.

get out the credit card.

I had Emig 20mm offsets on my 02 they fit on my 05 no problem the 05 has a different front number plate mount,that didn't matter as I used the vented plate also from my 02,the puppy really turns with the 20's on, so far no headshake.

I just bought an RG3 clamp for my '05 directly from RG3, and the clamp was labeled for '04 and '05 CRF 450, bolted up no problem, and there appears to be no fitment issues. You could also call Applied and see what the differences are.

02-03-04-05 they are all the same....

The 05 offset (22mm) on the 450 was created by changing the front axle bolts.... (I think...) :cry:

The 05 offset (22mm) on the 450 was created by changing the front axle bolts.... (I think...)

You are correct. I double checked, and the 04 to 05 difference is in the lower fork leg. Also if you have an 04 setup, the 05 has the same number plate mount, so no worries there either.

Now back to the difference in the 05 to 04 lower fork legs.

Since 05's gained an effective 2mm offset in the legs, your 04 clamps will be like an 18mm offset now.....instead of the 20mm offset on an 04.

If you look above a poster said it was fine though, and said no headshake. Headshake would be the symptom of tucking that front wheel in too tight.

Give it a try. It will fit. Report back.

So if you can get an 05 forks from eBay, you will have 22mm offset? It's worth it if it's $400 or less considering most offsets cost that much. Plus, you will also get improved forks. :cry: :cry:

I just installed a set of Applied's on my 05'. The lower clamp gets hung up on the steering tube part of the frame. The 05 steering tube is a little larger diameter at the base where the stem and lower clamp attach. The clamp Applied sent me was rubbing very slightly. This is due to Applied's design of the steering stops that are carved into the lower clamp. I called them up since I already had my stem and bearing pressed on and they asked me to return them for an updated part they already have where they shaved approximately 1mm off of the steering stops. Since my clamp set was silver in color and not anodized, I opted to file the 1MM myself. I filed them down and you cant even tell. The stops are hidden behind the number plate. If your clamps are anodized you will definately be able to tell, although no one else will know unless you tell them. Oh yeah, the tech at Applied said this would void any product warranty since it's so minor. :cry: :cry:

I don't think positioning the axle closer in technically changes the offset....but it does change the trail which changes the handling characteristics the same way changing the offset would. The stock clamps and the applied factory set (as quoted by the guys at applied when I called them) are still 24mm. The rake for the 05 did change according to the specs on the Honda website. Attached is a good description of rake/trail and offset.

steering