Sign in to follow this  

studding tires?

looking to stud my 50's tires (or buy pre-studded tires)

anyone ever done this before? I've seen people do it with mountain bike tires, but I'm not too sure how well it would work on the fiddy.

the process was something along the lines of: take the tire off and jam sheetmetal screws though, then line all the heads of the screws with something (a section of old inner tube, etc), put some baby powder down to keep the tube from sticking, then throw it back on the wheel.

any advice? winter will be awfully boring if I cant take the fifty out. :cry:

I have a friend who owns a stud gun (auto kind) and we do it. we drill the tire to a certain depth and lube and insert the stud , just like a car tire.

It depends where you live as to which kind of studs you want to use, we use our for riding off road in the mud where there is lots of tree roots.

Some tire shops will do this.

just my .02

it's gonna be in the snow.. I have a pretty big ass studgun, how well do these things hold?

Go buy yourself a box of 1/4" head short sheet metal screws and screw one into each knobby with an electric drill/screw gun. The neighbor kid does it every year and it's amazing where he can get his bike to go.

I used the sheet metal screws last year. It was amazing how well they grip. I took it out on the lake and was doing doughnuts just to see how far I could push it... I was amazed at how far I could lean the bike over. The snow is a different story.. It depends on the kind of snow... fresh fluffy snow a 50 can plow through. Sloppy wet snow is a [@#$%&*!] though... not very much fun. Hard pack is the best. I used a drill to screw the screws into the tire and it went pretty quick. I used two screws per stud. You want to make sure you get the slotted screws that have a slot for a flat head screw driver. That slot gives you good traction. Good luck. There are a bunch of other threads in other forums on studding tires... with pics. That's how I found out how to do it. There are different patterms for screwing the screws that seem to grip better.

Good luck.

we ice race our 50s on my friend's lake. we bought brand new dunlops and used 3/8" cold cutter ice racing studs. we had some problems throwing studs, but when we lowered tire pressure a bit they held like crazy. it is the most fun 50 riding we do all year. we also tried sheet metal screws and machine screws but they didnt work worth a damn. go real ice studs.

we bought brand new dunlops and used 3/8" cold cutter ice racing studs... go real ice studs.

Where did you get them from? What brand? I would like to try these. How much $$ were they for front and rear tires?

the brand name of the studs is "kold kutter" they are around 20 bucks a box. they work infinitely better than sheet metal screws.(we tried them too). if you do a search on "kold kutter ice studs" they will pop up. we just get ours through the local dealer.