Sign in to follow this  

training program for gncc 3 hr. race.

Being a motocrosser all of my life I have started racing some gnccs,but am having some trouble adjusting to the long rides.I ran a couple of morning classes with poor results not because of fitness but bottlenecks and learning curve. In the 2hour race I didn't tire badly and actually ran faster laptimes at end of race.I started running afternoons now in senior b and running top 4 for first 2 hrs. but really go downhill fast after that .I somehow managed a 4th place at sparta and was running top 5 at st. clairsville until the ruts and mudbogs took their toll on me.I had to just pull out after 4 laps which is something I have never done in all years racing. What type of training programs are you guys using to be able complete a race and possibly win or podium .I'm currently mountain biking 3 times a week and ride about 8 miles each time which takes about an hour to ride and also riding a rowing machine for 45 minutes or elliptical rider and then strength train for 30 minutes with 25 to 30 reps when I don't bike ride. Any help would be appreciated.Thanks ekymxracer

Wow you are way ahead in the fitness level of 95% of the guys on this forum! :cry: Good luck with everything and hopefully you will podium soon! :cry: :cry:

Seeing as you are training physically what is your diet like? On the long rides you need to have had proper dietary intake to keep your efficiencies up. I know for me that my lap times decrease later in the race (most of the time) because of my diet, not my phitness level.

I tend to do well on heavier protein diets. To get me going at the start I take a PowerGel and a banana or apple. I typically add a carb drink to my camel back and really make sure I am hydrated before the race. Hydration is one of the most critical things you can do. Your muscles, including brain for decision making, rely on water to make things happen.

At pit stops I will have another powergel or if there are none, sometimes I tape a Powerbar to my crossbar pad allready in pieces. Just a little food really helps keep me going.

Long and short of it, look to your diet to help you out now. There is lots of information so make sure you sift through it and try to see what's right for you. :cry:

Coming from a mountain bike racing background, racing them from 2 - 3 hours, I found the only way I could hang that long was to train on a road bike. Mountain biking is great training, especially interval, but getting out on a road bike for 3+ hour rides at an easy to moderate pace is the best way to build endurance. Do this at least once a week mixed in with the Mtb'n and you should see some improvement. :cry:

kantoniak,my first 3 hour ride I ate at fazolis and carb loaded and managed a 4th but I have to admit had I been a few places back I probably would have quit .On the last lap Ipassed another guy in my class he must have thought I wasn't in his class as after he let me by he really started pushing me .I ended up running a faster last than the 2 previous ones.Laps 4 and 5 were pure agony though.The second race I couldn't find a fazolis so I ate at a steak house and had a bacon egg biscuit for breakfast, I usually eat cereal & bananas or breakfast bars but I forgot to buy milk on the way to track .I had a power gel and an energy bar just before race and mix gatorade & accelerade for my camelback.Given the ruts that were axle deep and mud that was half way up on the motor and getting ran over by no less than 2 bikes after getting a 3rd. place start and was passing for 2nd when he came across track and clipped my frt. wheel I don't know which one did the best.But I know my stomach was really growling just past halfway point.Thanks for info ekymxracer

I've just recently started using the rowing machine as well as a PT friend of mine suggested that since I'm a software eng with very little time (too much work) that I should just concentrate on rowing and stairclimber as he thought those two would be the best. I try to mix in some weights and other stuff too, but those are now my main focus.

I've noticed that the rowing machine (concepts 2 I think?) targets the same muscles that always hurt after a long ride. I'm trying to do 45 minutes rowing for a 1.5 hour race, so if you doing a 3 hour race I'd say aim for 90 minutes, and only do it every other day or so, cause the muscles need to rest.

Also if you ride on the same day do less rowing cause riding will hit those muscles.

I figure if I can row 90 minutes the race will be nothing. Not sure if it works yet, but I think its helping.

For weights I'd say squats #1, aductor, abductor, leg extension and leg curl for the legs, and rear delts, rowing, seated bench press, mil press lat pull downs and something for the triceps with a curls for the biceps.

I don't like to just any muscle without exercise the opposing muscle as well. I blew my ACL cause I did that several years ago, basically got my knee out of balance and started weakening the ligement over time til it poped while running for a rebound without any contact. At least that was my surgons theory.

Good luck,

Well, another quick easy exersise is to do wall sits. You can do this when watching the TV etc. It is an exersise I used to do for ski racing and it specifically targets your quads which you use a lot in off-road when standing for extended periods.

Just sit at 90 degrees with your back against the wall like you are in a chair. Believe me, no matter what your fitness level is you will feel it. Get your time up to as long as you can stand it. Remember to breath appropriately to try to get as much oxygen to the muscles in order to remove lactic acid build up.

Bigest improvement I found was to crash less and not pick up my bike. That really takes the energy out of you. Practice in any specific dicipline will improve your overall ability to do it with less expended energy. :cry:

• Like 1

sounds like you bonked. it's important what you eat before the race, but in a 3 hour race, you've got to keep eating to replenish your energy stores. ask any triathlete. glycogen and electrolites need to be replenished during the event.

road biycling works for me as well. great for quads and endurance. if you can ride 50-75 miles on your road bike in zone 3-4, you will crush a 3 hour event, at least endurance wise.

rc trains a lot on a road bike.

In my experience the best way to train for a long race is to ride a lot.

I race enduros. If I can't ride at home, at pace, for 2 + hours, its going to be a tough day.

Lots of wear and tear on the bike, of course, but nothing puts calluses in all the right places.........