Sign in to follow this  

Hatfield-McCoy

Since I am new to the Greensboro NC area, I was wondering if people around NC go to WV to Hatfield-McCoy ?

Any people experienced with that area? What does it have? Their website mostly shows quads, and their video of trail difficulties also just shows quads. Is it a bunch of slick clay where quads do better than bikes? I think I will be in the market soon for a new toy, I wanted a 2-wheeler but I could go with 4 if it was better in this area. Also, what about winter, does it get all snowed over, or is it just a week or so. I don't know what the elevation is around there, I would guess that would make a difference.

we just went to browning-rockhouse trails at H&M and they are more quad oriented. there were sporadic sections of this oily slick stuff oozing from the ground(my only guess would be it was some sort of oil from the coal) made for nervous riding even after 2 weeks without rain. i'd hate to go there after a rain,it'd be like ridin on snot! but don't go to the other side,stay on two wheels :cry:

It is better for a quad rider, however if you like a change in scenery then it is definitley there.

If you want to find out first hand I am going up next Sat. 30th morning for a day ride, you are welcome to tag along. I am going to meet a group from NY. They are doing it right with a 2 night stay. I just have a lot of time constraints on me.

There is also an area that is a lot closer to home for us it is just above Bluefield. I have been there 3-4 times and plan on going up a lot more. :cry: :cry:

That ncmotorsportspark place is $300 a year membership and they only have 10 miles of trails. That basically sucks. It looks like they are still building the place though.

450TrailRider, Bluefield looks like it is a long ways off as well, are you sure its closer?

Not good news to hear its slick stuff. I have ridden in super slick clay, its like ice and not really fun. Maybe that black junk is in a few places, but what about the rest of it?

I would like to stay on 2 wheels, but if it is not going to be much fun, then maybe 4 is the way to go. I haven't been to any riding areas around here yet, just been working. I don't want to make an uninformed bad purchase.

I must second the "slick as snot" comment on Rockhouse. We rode in a steady rain all day and it was slick. I thought Pinnacle was more fun. The trails are not technical but wide enough to go fast. I can ride the trails around my house if I want singletrack, tight and technical. I only live about 30 mins. from NCMP but have not been there yet so I can't comment.

450TrailRider, Bluefield looks like it is a long ways off as well, are you sure its closer

It only takes me 2 hrs to get to Bluefield. The Hatfield McCoy trail system is 3-4 hrs away depending on which trailhead I go to. Hwy 52 is very slow going.

For this area you need both a bike and ATV. I could not live without either. :cry: :cry:

Yup, gotta have both bike and quad....and jetki and sled. :cry:

I can comment on NCMP, been there twice. The rates are high at $15 a ride for a few miles of trails. They just opened the advanced MX track and they have had the novice and peewee tracks open. If you're into that stuff they are pretty nice tracks, but most of us here are not.

The trails were pretty much crap. 4X4's were getting stuck left and right. There some 100 yard sections that were good, they it would just turn sharp and hang you up on a boulder before starting an off camber short climb. Made no sense to me. This was on the easy loop, but it's hard to tell because they keep crossing each other. There were 15" of water on a lot of sections, huge ditches out of nowhere and lots of ruts.

With more work I believe it could be a great short, flatter type of trail, it just needs to have a second line around where the utes rutted it up. Some places were just impossible to go around/were marked with "do not enter" tape. Ya stand there going &%$#@!? If wasn't a real slick soil and not realy rocky, the trail was just not laid out real good.

It is better for a quad rider, however if you like a change in scenery then it is definitley there.

If you want to find out first hand I am going up next Sat. 30th morning for a day ride, you are welcome to tag along. I am going to meet a group from NY. They are doing it right with a 2 night stay. I just have a lot of time constraints on me.

There is also an area that is a lot closer to home for us it is just above Bluefield. I have been there 3-4 times and plan on going up a lot more. :cry: :cry:

So are you guys riding this section near Bluefield on the 30th? I could prpbably make that is I stay over there the night before.

No, we are going up to Gilbert. The Browning fork trail is where we will be riding.

The group from NY ( 6-8 riders ) will be staying Fri night in Gilbert and I am going to meet them @ 8-9 AM.

check out twin hollow camp ground its right on the trailhead nice showers good people. ask for "top of the hill" campsites it was a 360' view of the mtns. :cry:

450-

Well, I tried to "quote" your part about Bluefield, not the whole post. Still new here. Hoping you could give me some details about the Wagon Wheel riding area. I backed out on riding with you a few weeks ago (Northeast forum; SW Virginia thread) because of my knee. I'm healing quickly and just about ready to disobey the doctor and go play. :cry: Thanks for anything you can tell me about that spot above Bluefield- trail miles, difficulty, is there a map?