Sign in to follow this  

05 valve adjust update

as i stated in an earlier post, after about 5 hours max on my new bike, I checked the valves to find they were tight. Well, I took it in today to have them adjusted and I was wrong, they were way tight. Precision Concepts found them to be about 75% out of tollerence and fixed them with the proper shims. Everthings good, even started on the first kick witch it hasnt done since brand new.

They were probably off from the factory. It has been hit or miss for me. My '02 CRF450 was off as was my '04 CRF250. My '03 CRF450 was spot on. Once I reshimmed my '02 and '04 I never had to again. The '03 and '04 are still good to this day. :cry:

You'd think after 4 years Honda would fix this issue. I can't believe you have to adjust your valves already. For 7k you should never have to touch them.

These things are mass produced and are made by machines and plant workers.I'm surprised they are even close. You should see some of the surprises that come of automotive assembly lines!

I had a 03 Wr250F that had 1 intake and 1 exhaust at 0 from the factory.I have a 03 YZ250F that was fine from the factory...and a million hours later is just starting to tighten but is still with in spec.

I just picked up a 04 CRF250X that had about 10 hours on it. I checked the valves and although it is spec, 1 intake and 1 exhaust are on the tight side. I plan on finishing the next 2 weeks on the YZ, and then I'll put a little time on the X and check and reshim during the winter.

You bought a race bike. It's going to need a little tlc.