rim locks on 606's?

just put 'em on and they are way out of balance. the guy at the shop says the rim locks are too heavy to accurately balance the tire/rim without stacking obnoxious amounts of weights on the rim. I ride this thing on the street quite a bit. Is it necessary to run the D606 with rim weights? does the tire come from the factory pretty balanced? What would the pros and cons be to running without the rim locks? ?

I have D606's on My XR650L unbalanced and locked,I can cruise at 65mph just fine. Make sure the tires are installed properly and you'll have no problem.

Thw WR450 has dual locks and it's smooth. My DRZ only has one and it

will rattle your teeth out. The average rimlock weighs about 4oz, so

I put 4oz opposite the rimlock. I used the stick-on weights and put

2oz on each side of the rim. Smooth as glass now... ?

Ona side note, every tire I have put on, professional or not has

needed the 4oz across from the rim lock.

I use D606 on the rear only, and I use "two" rim locks on the rear to help with balance. I also balance both front and rear. I rotate the rear around 300/400 miles, and have had to remove one rim lock befor for the set up to re-balance. Even after marking the tire and rim. ?

Do you even need rim lock's??? I don't think you would need them on a DRZ Unless you'ved pumped up the power and ride pritty hared. I dont have rim lock's (Granted, I suck) And I haven't had any problem's in the last year. My DRZ has dependable tork, but not a lot of snap. I would think that you would have to improve the snap and ride pritty hard core before you needed rim lock's...

Just my green opinion ?

Do you even need rim lock's??? I don't think you would need them on a DRZ Unless you'ved pumped up the power and ride pritty hared. I dont have rim lock's (Granted, I suck) And I haven't had any problem's in the last year. My DRZ has dependable tork, but not a lot of snap. I would think that you would have to improve the snap and ride pritty hard core before you needed rim lock's...

Just my green opinion ?

Putting around the campfire with the kiddies, no, but if you ride

at all aggressively, you're gonna need rim locks. Even on a stock

DRZ.

Rim locks serve two purposes.

1) Allow lower tire pressures-Which increases traction off-road

2) Helps the tire stay on the rim if you get a flat.

?

If you never run less than 15 psi.you probably don't need rim locks,and if you run 1 on the front it will shake on the road at higher speeds,unless you balance it.

I would not think about riding a knobby tire with out rim locks front or rear. I believe you will find that the rear D606 will hook best at 12Lb "and LOWER" for on/off road...Front brakes and rim locks are a must.

It workes for my 200lb butt in SC, NC, GA, Fla!

Okay..I'm sold on keeping the rim locks. how do you weight the rim? I have a couple of the old lead weights that clamp on the nipples. The shop wanted to glue on rim weights and said there would be so many, it would look bad. They also come unglued and become flying projectiles!