Sign in to follow this  

What ever happened to shoulder pads???

I know this isn't exactly an XR question, but there's alot of "old timers" like me on this forum who might relate to this question. Back when I raced, we had shoulder pads that actually covered the sides of your shoulders and protected you when you fell on your side. The Thor chest protector I recently bought when I got back into riding has great protection on the top, but basically nothing on the sides! If a rock falls from the sky and lands on top of my shoulder, I'm well prepared!... but when I slide out in a corner and fall on my side, it's like I'm not wearing any shoulder protection. Do motocrossers wear something additional under their jerseys that I can't see? Most chest protectors have minimal SIDE protection for the shoulder, just like my Thor. What ever happened to providing protection to one of the body parts that probably hits the ground the most? Was it all for cooler looks??? Anyone know of a good shoulder protection designed for MX (no football pad jokes please :-)

When I started racing in the mid-'70s I actually wore football shoulder pads. A lot of guys did because we couldn't afford a Hallman or Hi-Point protector. When I finally could afford one, I preferred it because of the roost protection that the shoulder pads couldn't. I still have a Joffa and do wear it on occasion.

My trusty basic Shift protector ($55?) gives me the best protection - even over the fancy, high priced, 'cool' ones that manufacturers think we need.