Sign in to follow this  

02 WR 250F - getting rid of coolant reservoir

Does anyone know if I Can just take off my external coolant reservoir, or do I need to do something with the hoses? Is it important to have the reservoir or is it totally fine to take it off? I have a 02 wr 250f

thanks for the help

AB

You could remove it, but before you do, consider what kind of riding you do. If you spend hours on end slogging through the woods, enduro style, you might want to keep it. That kind of frequent low speed operation will cause coolant to be expelled from the radiator. With the recovery bottle in place, the coolant will be drawn back in as the engine cools down when you speed up a bit. Without it, you'll be short after a few such episodes.

YZs get away without the bottle because the kind of operation they were intended for usually involves less time going very slow.

You should be able to simply run a hose from the radiator overflow outlet down to someplace by the fromt engine mounts and tie it there.

Thanks for the reply. I basicly do alot of fast trail riding and a little track. I'm never just putting around. Whats considered slogging through the woods? The main reason I thought about getting rid of the reservoir was beacuse my pro billet kick stand just put a hole in the bottle when kicked up. thanks

I have never had mine on the bike. I race enduros in Ohio and have done plenty of slow tight trails and have not had a problem.

Hello

I’m not an expert but I’ve got a friend....

I removed my reservoir before I even started my bike and I have been running it for a year now with out any problems and no loss of coolant. I usually ride on slow enduro trials once a week (and crashes 1-3 times every ride :-). My friend who has both competed and been a mechanic on an international level and has a WR250F -02 has his reservoir removed and that is absolutely no problem according to him.

I hope it helped a little...

In addition to the coolant recovery, I believe the fed laws require this system for off-road use (not close course competition) and I also believe it is requiered in California. The recovery system prevents pollution--spraying boiling antifreeze on the trails which is sweet tasting but poisonous.

Other than weight savings, why did you put the Pro Moto Billet kick stand on the WR--the WR came with a leaner. You can't have them anyway for competition.

Before I would remove the tank--well I guess you have no choice with a hole in it--I would mark the level when cool, then check it after riding your typical ride and see if it has changed. I have noticed my level up about an inch before of slow trail blazing in first and second gear with lots of frquent stops. When I shut the engine off I could hear the coolant boiling. When I took off down a road, the level went back down by the next stop.

It would be nice to convert it to a fuel cell if it was tougher material.

Whats considered slogging through the woods?

2 1/2 miles of mud up to the airbox. Not likely here, huh? Well, today, maybe.

On the legal question, no ranger has ever mentioned it to me. Let us speak of it no more lest we provide the greenies with yet more inspiration.

I also believe it is requiered in California. The recovery system prevents pollution--spraying boiling antifreeze on the trails which is sweet tasting but poisonous.

I know the relative benefits of Engine Ice have been discussed ad-nausium on this forum, but I just thought I would point out they claim that in addition to better cooling, it is also relatively harmless to the environment.

http://www.engineice.cc/faq.html

Don't kill the messenger, :cry: I'm just a user, not a dealer.

A catch bottle is not required for riding in public lands in CA. Otherwize the YZF (as well as all other MX bikes) would not be allowed to ride anywhere but closed courses. It may be a requirement for a green sticker but I am not sure of that.

I've removed mine with no problems,join the two tubes from the reservoir together creating a closed circuit.