Sign in to follow this  

New bearings in cases

I also posted this in another forum hoping to get a good responce. I am replacing my crank and I am going to put all new bearing in the cases. I wanted to know if the bearings are easy to get in with the tool that you can get from honda, or if you even need one. I dont have experience putting in bearings into a softer metal like the cases, so if anyone thinks it is hard or not a hard challenge let me know. I dont want to take it somewhere and have to pay them to do it and have it take forever to get done.

Its not really that hard. The honda tool helps. If you are not going to get the honda tool get something that rides on the OD of the bearing to pound it in with. You don't want to be pounding on the ID bearing race. I would put the bearings in the freezer for at least a half hour before you plan on putting the bearings in. This will shrink them a bit and make them easier to install. When you are putting them in keep them as perpendicular the case as possible when pounding them in. If you want them to go in even easier put the case in the oven at 250 degress for about 15 minutes. You will have to wear gloves but the bearing will go in even easier.

I just replaced the left case on my 250. I put the bearings in the freezer and heated up the case and they still went in a little tighter than I though they would. Just make absolute sure you are driving them in straight when you do them.

I used sockets that fit on the OD of the bearing and it worked pretty good. You will have to have a big socket to do the crank bearings though.

Be aware that some of the bearings come pressed in the case already so only order the ones you need.

Did you replace the bearings or just use the old ones? Oh and you needed torque specs. Are you done already? If not let me know what you need. Also, I did the Kelstr dry burnishing technique and my cylinder is a lot drier than it was before. My exhaust pipe was coated with an oily residue before, and now its like that brown chalky color similar to a nice color brown on your spark plug when jetted correctly. :cry:

Did you replace the bearings or just use the old ones? Oh and you needed torque specs. Are you done already?

I replaced all the bearings in the left case. Torque specs? I was waiting for you to send them to me. :cry: Luckily my shop gave (that's right GAVE) me a manual.

I put it all together Saturday and rode it Monday at the track. I also used the dry method and it seems fine.

While I was at the track I rode an 05 250 and it really wasn't much different than mine. The motor seemed a little smoother and the suspension felt a little plusher but that's about it. I'll stick with the 04.