Sign in to follow this  

05 wr250f

I'm sorry if this subject is a little repetitive. However, I'm having trouble deciding which bike to buy. I've narrowed it down between the honda cr250x and the yamaha wr250f. I'm a new rider and will mostly be riding trails. I'm not sure if this matters, but I'm 6'2" and weigh 210lbs. Any advice would be helpful.

The X is a great bike, we got one for my wife and she absolutely loves it. I've ridden it as well and the bike runs and handles brilliantly.

HOWEVER.

Valve issues are rampant on the Hondas (including ours), and if we had it to do all over again we'd get the Yamaha. Until the valve issue is a thing of the past I wouldn't touch the Honda with a 10-foot pole.

boy at your height and weight I would be considering the wr450.

I find the WR250F is a "bigger" bike than the CRF250X and may suit your size better.

Ditto the previous post. I'm 6'3" and even on the "bigger" WR I have lowered pegs and taller seat foam. I think the WR has better ergo's for tall people.

The valve issue on the X would be a big help in deceiding also. I buy to ride, not work on a bike. Honda will eventually solve the valve issue but I prefer not being a "test rider" again. (Been there once with a Yamaha quad.)

You'd be surprised at how the WR makes you feel like you lost 20 lbs.After you "un-cork" it... it'll haul you around easily.

Yeah, it will have a lower center of gravity. I bet that will make it feel lighter and less top heavy. :cry:

I'm looking forward to touching the ground, but I was thinking that lower center of gravity would probably put the foot pegs lower? If that's the case then with just taller seat foam it might fit a taller rider better also. The bars should be in the same position. :cry:

I'm 6'1" and 220 lb and the WR hauls me around just fine. It rips in fact. I haven't gotten lowered foot pegs or anything, but I think I will be going to a taller bend bar. The WR has been very reliable too.