aftermarket regulator

Does anyone know of an aftermarket regulator/rectifier. ?

Yes, Moose makes one called the "Volt Pack" and is just a regulator, not a regulator/rectifier. Its available via Dennis Kirk under their part number 21700 and retails for $14.95. No, I dont work for DK, I just have their catalog setting near the PC! ?

My original bulb never burned out i just wanted more light. I installed a higher wattage headlight bulb and it burned out pretty quickly. I repositioned the wires in the headlight plug so that i could use the high beam since the low burned out. The high beam burned out pretty quick also. like 15mins. So i bought another lower wattage bulb (still slightly higher than stock). That bulb burned out just as quick as the rest. Im going to see if the regulator is burned out tomorrow 10/20/04 but im thinking of rectifying the lighting AC just to keep everything DC. I hate buying these bulbs at $20 a pop.

I understand it comes with only one beam. I "rewired" the plug so I could use the unburnt low beam. The wires can be removed from the plug pretty easily and repositioned to switch beams. This works great if you have problems like mine (blowing out bulbs)

Been there, done it. I installed a K&S switch, so I can switch from low beam to high beam or turn off all lights. Just added the extra pin in the existing connector.

Im going to see if the regulator is burned out tomorrow 10/20/04 but im thinking of rectifying the lighting AC just to keep everything DC.

TrailTech offers this solution for the ATV version of your bike. I'm sure the same modification will work on the WR. They require you use their full wave rectifier-regulator and they reconfigure the stock stator. I think they "float the ground" on the stator.

If you want to have a nice way of accessing your high beam element, you can get a hold of the left handlebar cluster from the YFZ450 (ATV). It has off-low-hi positons along with the start button all in one unit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Soooo. Ive mounted an Hid light inside of the headlight fairing. Using four diodes I recitified the AC voltage in order to power the HID light. There is a problem with that though. The regulator regulates the AC to 12volts. When you rectify 12vac directly to dc it chops it up so much that you only end up with about 9 volts which is at the lower end of the threshold that the HID will operate in. So the light just flickers and radomly stays illuminated then eventually turns off.

To fix this I plan on doing the stator "floating ground" mod. and wiring in a Trail Tech rectifier/regulator. My understanding is that after wiring up the r/r I will have to rewire the headlight and connect it directly to the battery. According to the Yamaha Manual wiring diagram the CDI is operated like a magneto off of a seprate pickup from the stator winding. So, it looks like the CDI wiring is not affected by disconnecting and rewiring the rectifier/regulator. Does anyone have any input on this? Has anyone done this mod to an '03 wr450? Thanks for any help guys. Steve

• 3 weeks later...