Sign in to follow this  

Oiling Air Filter Question

I was just reading an article in DirtRider Magazine online and they had an article on Air filter oiling. I was blown away when I saw them oiling the inside of the filter too. I have never seen or heard of anyone doing that. So my question is: How many others are oiling the inside of their filter. BTW - The filter they were showing was the same I use - Twin Air.

"When in doubt, go long."

Yes, and what was your question? Foam doesn't filter worth a damn without oil in it, and working it in from both sides is just a good way to make sure it gets all the way through.

If you don't run a screen, I can see there being some concern about flammabilty of the oil being used, but if you use one of the good specialty oils made for air filters, you'll probably be OK. Test it on a shop towel if you're worried about that. Just take it outside first.

Or did you have a different concern?

The question was "How many others are oiling the inside of their filter?" You answered my question.

I have a screen too, just never saw anybody else oiling the "inside" if the filter. I was worried that I might be missing something that could cause my bike premature engine wear. :cry: I was also worried about the oil clogging up the screen and possibly getting into the carb.

I use the twin air liquid system. I dip my filter in a tub of the stuff, let the whole filter soak it up, then squeese out all the excess. The special type of oil allows it to breathe just fine. My bike runs great and kicks over fast.

I find that the spray on doesn't last as long and doesn't protect as much as the Twin air liquid. Just one mans opinion.

i do both sides but use more on the out side

the i massage it through and squeeze out the excess

I totally immerse my fina filter in Motul filter oil and then sqeeze out the excess. My view is the more the merrier. If the things got a breathing prob from too much oil it wont start, but ive never had that. I also grease the seal surface and run lightly oiled filter skins.

I totally immerse my fina filter in filter oil and then sqeeze out the excess.

Exactly what should be done, nothing less. Spray ons don't cut it. :cry:

Remember to let filter dry for at least 1/2 hour before installing.

I totally immerse my fina filter in filter oil and then sqeeze out the excess.

Exactly what should be done, nothing less. Spray ons don't cut it. :cry:

Remember to let filter dry for at least 1/2 hour before installing.

I use No-toil on a no-toil filter and what I do is put the filter in a Ziploc Storage bag, pour the no-toil over the filter, and start spreading with my hands. Instead of dunking in one shot, I do it that way so that I spend less time squeezing out the oil.

One oil I have had problems with though is the BelRay. I don't think it evaporates into a stickey, it's just like, liquid all the time. When I sued to use it on my 230, the oil would alawsy dribble out the airbox, no matter now much oil I squeezed out. When I switched over to no toil, that problem stopped.

I use No-toil on a no-toil filter and what I do is put the filter in a Ziploc Storage bag, pour the no-toil over the filter, and start spreading with my hands. Instead of dunking in one shot, I do it that way so that I spend less time squeezing out the oil.

DITTO

Shane

Ditto the zip lock. Carefully work the oil all around the filter being careful not to break apart glued seams.

When I am done and sure the filter is completely saturated with oil, I then blot the filter on clean paper towels, with one towel inside and and a couple on the outside.

The put the filter on the cage and let the oil "set up" for at least a half hour. This allows the thin carriers to evaporate and leave the good sticky stuff which is what you need evenly distrbuted throughout the filter pores.

Complete dipping a filter in a tub of oil is a waste of time spent squeezing oil when you could be riding.

Also, have several filters prep'd in zip lock bags ready to change out. This saves lots of time and it is just as easy to clean 3 filters and oil them up as it is one--same mess.

Best to have a girl friend who is good at cleaning and oiling air filters and washing your bike and riding gear!

I find that the spray on doesn't last as long and doesn't protect as much

If you just spray it on, none of them will work well at all, but if you work them in well, there are several good ones. Maxima's FAB 1 turns pretty quiclkly into a very sticky, almost glue-like grease. I spray a ring of it around the sealing face of the filter instead of grease, and it seals very well. (and I can wash it off!) As far as how long it holds up, I know it lasts through the 2-4 rides I go between cleanings, and I never have found any dirt on the inside.

Still, immersing the filter is going to be the surest way to get complete coverage. What's the Twin Air oil like after it drys?

If you just spray it on, none of them will work well at all, but if you work them in well, there are several good ones. Maxima's FAB 1 turns pretty quiclkly into a very sticky, almost glue-like grease.

I spray a ring of it around the sealing face of the filter instead of grease, and it seals very well. (and I can wash it off!)

I never have found any dirt on the inside.

Exactly what I was going to say! :cry:

I use No-Toil too and apply the oil to the inside and outside of the air filter in the zip lock bag. I use No-Toil filter grease on the air filter seal just to make sure I get a good seal. Don't forget never put a freshly oiled air filter on your bike and then go riding, chances are you may suck in filter oil and clog up some of the air passages or jets in your carb. I normally let my filter "air out" 24 hours after oiling it then I put it on my bike.

i'm a TWIN-AIR oil guy, but i use it on UNI foam media two stage filters.

this duo has served me very well.

first pull on a pair of no-talc latex exam gloves (available at walmart in a box of 100 for around US$6). separate the UNI filter into the inner and outer foam pieces. pour the TWIN-AIR oil into a sherbert tub a quarter inch deep, and mop it out using the inner foam. wring out the excess and set inner foam aside on a piece of newspaper. repeat oiling with outer foam; add a bit more TWIN-AIR oil to the tub if needed. but if you do it just right there is no leftover oil. the blue colored oil makes it easy to determine where the orange/yellow foam media has not yet been covered. after oiling both foam pieces, assemble the filter. let the oil solvent evaporate a few hours before riding.

once "dried" the TWIN-AIR oil is super tacky, will not drip off the filter making a mess of the airbox, and the sticky dual stage foam collects every speck of dust.

to clean the filter, again pull on a pair of latex gloves. separate the two foam pieces and use spray-on auto engine degreaser as solvent (GUNK brand "ENGINE BRITE" or something along those lines). works great! you'll know the filter is clean when the foam media is orange/yellow again. do a final cleaning with simple green and water. let dry thoroughly before applying new TWIN-AIR oil.

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

i'm a TWIN-AIR oil guy, but i use it on UNI foam media two stage filters.

this duo has served me very well.

first pull on a pair of no-talc latex exam gloves (available at walmart in a box of 100 for around US$6). separate the UNI filter into the inner and outer foam pieces. pour the TWIN-AIR oil into a sherbert tub a quarter inch deep, and mop it out using the inner foam. wring out the excess and set inner foam aside on a piece of newspaper. repeat oiling with outer foam; add a bit more TWIN-AIR oil to the tub if needed. but if you do it just right there is no leftover oil. the blue colored oil makes it easy to determine where the orange/yellow foam media has not yet been covered. after oiling both foam pieces, assemble the filter. let the oil solvent evaporate a few hours before riding.

once "dried" the TWIN-AIR oil is super tacky, will not drip off the filter making a mess of the airbox, and the sticky dual stage foam collects every speck of dust.

to clean the filter, again pull on a pair of latex gloves. separate the two foam pieces and use spray-on auto engine degreaser as solvent (GUNK brand "ENGINE BRITE" or something along those lines). works great! you'll know the filter is clean when the foam media is orange/yellow again. do a final cleaning with simple green and water. let dry thoroughly before applying new TWIN-AIR oil.

jim aka the wrooster

Wrooster, good to hear from you. I also use the surgical gloves for filter maitanance. I don"t however totaly submerse my filter in oil. Maby I"m just a wimp or its the NoToil oil but I just can"t seem to keep the oil from dripping out of the filter and making a mess. Any NoToil users have the same problem? Maby its time to switch to the Twin Air stuff.

Wrooster, good to hear from you.

That post from him is over a year old... He still hasn't posted since August.

(at least not under the name wrooster... )

What I've used for many years and had good luck with is Maxima FFT. I use a oiling tub and soak it good, and squeez out the excess oil, then stick the filters in a ziplock. Just a quick note, I seen a couple posts where some guys are using Notoil. A freind of mine swears by it and I wasn't buying it. We went to the practice track it was extreamly dusty all day. After riding we both checked our filters. You could of grown a garden on my filter and his was barely dirty. Same Track, Same Conditions. Which leads me to think where did the dirt go?? I'm not saying it's a bad product, maybe a magic oil that repels the dirt and dust off hmmm. Anyway just my 2cents on what I've seen.

06' YZ250F

That post from him is over a year old... He still hasn't posted since August.

(at least not under the name wrooster... )

I see. The newb above my post brought this thread back after a year. :banghead: